ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

GETTING ORGANIZED EXPERIMENT - WEEK SIX ASSIGNMENT

<< < (3/3)

hugosanchez:
Having suffering a serious cardiovascular surgery 2 years ago, health is my top priority. Mark idea of "do it first thing of the day" has been a lifesaver for me, because al least I found a method to overcome procastination to do exercises and to eat properly.

Each morning I walk 30-45 minutes as a "must", and doing that I gain 1 point. Prepare and eat a fruit based breakfast is the thing to do to deserve another point.  So, each day I fight for 2 points. Sometimes I can not make it, but on average, I did.

Counting the accumulated points of the week is a real trigger to continue in this effor (not easy at all!).

Thanks all you. The Great Experiment is a very nice idea.

tomos:
wow, that puts things in perspective,
thanks hugo.

I'm not qualified to offer App any advice
--- End quote ---
but: hold your head up high ...
who needs goe ?! :-\  :)

dallee:
My report is that I've been following the main ideas by making a list of pending tasks and obligations (Allen), and limiting procrastination by "getting the file out" (Forster).

There has been a marked reduction of timewasting activities in my non-work time.  Mark Forster is the person to whom I give the credit.  It is liberating to think about a small start, rather than a bogging down in thoughts of a big project.

One helpful and free program has been Quicknote from http://www.quicknote.de.  It has a terrific timed reminder feature.  I pasted into Quicknote an article on "time binge-ing" and procrastination and set it to pop up hourly on my computer; it serves as a reminder that sticking with any one task for too long can be counter-productive or (in the case of time fillers) not productive at all and the content of the article reminds me why I need to pay attention to this issue.

Another free program I use is Workrave from www.workrave.org.  You can set the preferences for periodic micro-breaks of 30 seconds, rest breaks of 10 minutes (which will give you some anti-repetetive stress injury desk exercises and tell you to get up and move around), and even lock your computer after some period of time.   You can set the frequency and length of each, as well as insert zeros and avoid any feature altogether.  I use 30 second mini-breaks about every half hour, which gives me time to reflect whether I want to continue the activity I am doing or switch to something else.

For keeping track of lists, Quick To-Do Pro from  www.capstralia.com/products/pro has been my tool of choice.  Tasks can be categorized (following Allen's use of @ to group alphabetically certain related action locations and types, with a listing of projects by name alone), notes and links to web sites or files on my computer can be captured conveniently on the same page for each item, and all list items can be sorted by any heading.  Given that my tasks are not email based, Outlook would take a lot of tweaking to do what Quick To-Do Pro does for me.  Nice clean interface.  It is well worth the moderate cost.

So, thanks for starting the Great Experiment!  Big shifts have occurred and I am really grateful, especially for the introduction to Mark Forster though an early mention in the discussions on these boards.

Dallee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version