ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Unfinished Requests

IDEA: mouse location launcher

<< < (5/5)

cracksloth:
so, in summary, this has turned into a 3 program solution:

- a desktop manager (vwm) that will automatically place certain windows on a specific desktop and each desktop has its own taskbar (maybe this already exists so if anyone here knows of a vwm with a taskbar or if anyone knows how to modify powerpro, let me know.)
 - powerpro (optional) for switching between these desktops via the mouse.  obviously, other methods (like hotkeys) could be used instead.  at any rate, methods for this already exist.
 - a modification of f&r that would display search content in a window without toolbars or other buttons (mouser, this might be a good project to use that lite skinnable window design that you were talking about).  in my little world, this would mean a commandline that specifies 1) a config file and 2) the search criteria to use (like an alias, or a command, or whatever).

pseudolus:
I would be very surprised if you could not do what you want with PowerPro. It is very powerful. Some of the users have already built scripts for maintaining desktops with applications associated and located in desired places. The scripting has evolved past my puny abilites, but there is a very active communty of users who will help you figure out what needs to be done.

It is a bear to to learn, as it has evolved over the years and was not coded from scratch. The originator is active in helping out and troubleshooting. He responds very quickly to feature requests and bug fixes. The stuff some of the 'pros' can do with it just amazes me. If you truly want to become a 'power user' and do some crazy cool stuff, you will not be disappointed.

cracksloth:
it does look very powerful...  i guess i'm just turned off by having to learn the specific syntax for powerpro.  it is not exactly a tool of ease (especially for the advanced stuff i am talking about).  you have to have a lot of time that you can dedicate to it (which many people don't).  to me, it's kind of like tossing me a book on programming and telling me to have a go at making it myself.  i'd *love* to make the tool but i do not have the expertise and gaining the expertise would require time that i do not have (trust me, this would take me a *long* time!).  :)  a lot of useful tools can be created using scripting languages but that does not mean that everyone should make his/her own tools (more people would benefit if someone who knew what they were doing took a crack at it).  anyway, in short, i guess i'm just dumb like that!  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version