ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Unfinished Requests

IDEA: mouse location launcher

<< < (4/5) > >>

cracksloth:
so did i just freak you guys out by mentioning multiple desktops?  this is just the method i thought would be the easiest to implement because i assumed program docking would be the most difficult feature.  anyway, it is not necessary and would be a more confusing paradigm for users to follow.  when i was rolling the idea around in my head, i just realized that fullscreen menus are kinda like transient desktops and i was hoping that desktop widget software (like konfabulator or anything similar) would work with them.  honestly any implementation would be fine as long as the core functionality would be the same.  so what are the thoughts on this project or "Fitt's machine"?

mouser:
you know i really like this idea -
it's more of a way of working than a new application, as you say.
the existing virtual desktops can already do most of this.

its definitely appealing idea, you switch to "music" desktop and it automatically has your music program opened and any helper programs opened, and arranged where you like them.  i think it makes a lot of sense.

maybe it does call for a slightly customized virtual desktop tool.. that is more like a list of "active" virtual desktops, wish easy way to shut off the programs running on them, and describe the programs you want running on each, along with a custom launch bar on each one.

its interesting to think about what a program would look like that would be combine these purposes.  most of the software already exists.

i'm thinking maybe like a launch bar with different "modes"
each mode would represent a different virtual desktop.
so by selecting a mode you select which apps are available on the launch bar and switch to the different virtual desktop and launch all the apps with the checkmarks enabled in the launch bar.  something like that.

pseudolus:
Reading through these posts, I can't help but suggest that PowerPro will do all that and more. Virtual desktop management, program launching by mouse position, hotkey, toolbar or upon window opening. Very powerful utility. Lots of plug-ins. Strong user group for help. It has a scripting language, though not as powerful as AHK it will do a lot of things. It's free, as well.

http://powerpro.webeddie.com/

Edvard:
I was just gonna say that!

I can't remember (my hd is toast so I'm posting this from Slax, so no poking around Powerpro) but I think you can define "hotspots" (which would do for 'mouse position launching')and if you use your Powerpro as a launcher bar, you can set it to switch bar configs on switch of virtual desktop. Configing Powerpro is a bit of a bear, but go ahead, read the help file and good luck.

cracksloth:
i had always glazed over powerpro based on the ugly screenshots and website.  i thought it was some kind of skinnable toolbar.  anyway, thanks.  i would say this fits the bill for the "fitt's machine" (although it is not quite the simple small tool that i had in mind).  but it does *not* fill the role of the desktop manager (or whatever you want to call it) that i was talking about.  so let's spell out the requirements of such a program (and feel free to tell me if a similar program exists):

- creation of multiple desktops with a way of switching between them (nothing special here - any desktop manager would do)
- the option to have certain windows always open in a specific desktop
- individual taskbars (or other task management device) for each desktop
- some keyboard navigated windows to display useful shortcuts similar to the displays found in the screenshots here:
http://www.symphonyos.com/desktop.html
these windows would display things like drives, recent documents, favorite folders, program shortcuts, a music folder, etc.  technically, these windows could be a separate snack *or* (even better) you could give f&r the commandline option to launch a new instance that *only* displays the content with a specific search (no toolbar or search field).  that way, all these cool features would be found in f&r, it would save coding time, and it would allow people to have often used searches open all the time (which is obviously useful in instances like this).  it would be nice, however, if f&r had a view style that was bigger and more menu-like than details (again, reference the screenshots to get an idea of what i am talking about).  what does everyone think?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version