ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Unfinished Requests

IDEA: mouse location launcher

(1/5) > >>

cracksloth:
a prog that will allow you to specify a command or hotkey to execute when:
   - the mouse cursor is in X screen corner
      ( ) for x seconds
      ( ) with right button click
      ( ) with left button click
      ( ) with left double-click
      ( ) with keypress
   - the mouse cursor is at a screen side for x seconds
      ( ) for x seconds
      ( ) with right button click
      ( ) with left button click
      ( ) with left double-click
      ( ) with keypress
   - a hotkey is pressed

such features can be found in some toolbar applications but you are pretty much screwed if you don't like their launcher.  you could also use this tool to bring f&r to the top when you put your mouse in the corner of the screen.  since you're named mouser, you should love this idea!  :)

mouser:
i think i can write this as a snack this weekend if there isn't already a free tool to do this.

what if instead of X corner or X seconds it worked like this:
it allowed you to draw arbitrary regions on your screen as the regions.
im thinking it would be most useful for things like people using a wall paper as a clickable control thing.

ie imagine you have a wallpaper image of air plane cockpit.  then you could use this program to draw regions of the various controls and assign actions to them.

seems like it might be a nice way to really customize your desktop.

i think i have most of the components needed to make this if it sounds like something useful.

ps.
cracksloth what is your background that you have such a logical and precise way of laying out diagrams and mock screenshots and stuff?

kfitting:
Now this idea seems pretty cool... would you be able to specify different regions for different windows?  Maybe you could have one set of regions for the desktop (as you alluded to mouser) and then a different set depending on what program has focus.   Don't know how hard this would be to do, but I think at the very least, you should be able to have one set for desktop, one set for everything else.  Just my one and a half sense!

Kevin

mouser:
that's a good point, i hadnt even thought about working with other windows, just the desktop.

i'm not sure how one would want this to work with specific applications - i'm guessing you would really just want it to ignore you when you are inside an application mainly.

mouser:
not unusually, the hard part about this idea is not the main code, but figuring out a way for the user to tell the program what areas of the screen should trigger stuff.

if we just use corners and sides of screen its pretty easy.. if we use arbitrary regions of desktop we need some way of user to be able to "paint" regions of the screen and associate them with actions.

maybe there is an existing tool already, like a skinning tool, that will let you edit a bitmap and color different regions with different colors.  preferably a 256 color editor that lets you clearly colorize an image by painting regions of colors from this small pallette, so that each "button" or "region" is its own color..

i know such tools are sometimes used as skin editors.. and/or maybe there is another existing skin editing tool that works differently but can be used similarly to edit regions.  or i guess i could use an html region marking tool.. but i think for this task, having an 8bit (256color) color mask might be most efficient.

anyone know any existing tools or willing to help find some? (must be free since the end user will be using it to region-ize their desktop).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version