ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Outlook 2003 - PST file corruption. Is it X1 ?

<< < (5/8) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Re. >2Gb PST files see ...

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm

Interesting article about bogus error messages 'by design' http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817966

JavaJones:
Funny, my file is over 2GB and seems to be working fine. :D But that does make me want to trim it down more just in case.

Actually I've been planning to switch mail clients forever but I just can't find one that I like as much, lol. Quite frankly I think Thunderbird is a bit of a joke as an alternative with all its bizarre flaws. Standard advice is to not use the default profile because it can cause corruption and data loss. The default profile is broken for god's sake! Come on Mozilla, that's shoddy. :P

- Oshyan

Carol Haynes:
Yes I was looking for an alternative client but they all have their drawbacks and I like some of the extra features in Outlook which I use a lot (Calendar, Tasks etc).

JavaJones:
Yeah, I use tasks a lot in Outlook. There are other apps for it of course, I just haven't found a lightweight one I like enough to replace the Outlook functionality while at the same time also finding an alternative email client. :D

- Oshyan

Dirhael:
Hello everyone, first-time poster here. Was just browsing this forum after being introduced to the excellent Find And Run Robot. Anyway, just wanted to add a little to the discussion regarding Outlook .pst files. Yes, they should theoretically work up to 2 GB, but after having worked with tech. support for the last 4 years (done with it now though), I would recommend anyone to create a new one every ~200 MB. I don't really care what Microsoft or anyone says, data corruption is quite common with files larger than that (200MB). Also, even if that weren't the case, if something should happen, it's a lot better to just loose 200 MB worth of data instead of 10 times that :)

Oh and before I forget, there's another useful tool included with Outlook in addition to the scanpst.exe one; scanost.exe does pretty much the same, but for the "offline cache" files. If those files becomes corrupted, Outlook will start behaving badly no matter the state of your .pst files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version