ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's wrong with XP's built-in firewall?

<< < (8/10) > >>

kimmchii:
JavaJones, yes i did some tests with a proxomitron filter that time pageloads, host file definitely improves surfing speed.

JavaJones:
Can we get some numbers? :D

- Oshyan

kimmchii:
ahh, i didnt keep them, here is the timer filter if you like to try it yourself:

--- ---[Patterns]
Name = "New Load Timer v2.0 Part Ib (Slime)"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)"
Limit = 7
Match = "<start>"
Replace = "<script>\r\n"
"var pxst = new Date();\r\n"
"function endT() {\r\n"
"var pxet = new Date();\r\n"
"document.title=(' Load Time: '+(pxet.getTime()-pxst.getTime())/1000+' second(s)');\r\n"
"}\r\n"
"</script>\r\n"
"$STOP()"

Name = "New Load Timer v2.0 Part II"
Active = TRUE
URL = "$TYPE(htm)"
Limit = 5
Match = "<end>"
Replace = "<script>\r\n"
"window.onload=endT;\r\n"
"</script>\r\n"
"$STOP()"

dk70:
Blocking cookies do not speed up browsing. Reason is to avoid tracking cookies and/or to keep things neat. To disable generally then enable what you want is the only way for a much used browser. Or you end up having to pick the good from the bad ones among 100s of cookies. Could be seen as a service, targeting ads according to your clicking about on a shop site. Depends on how you define personal information/privacy.

Adblock Plus do not speed things up, efficient filter does  8) Some are useless, others (your own) should have high hitrate. On pages with many ads you will see faster load. Also relevant for fast connections because slow ad-servers can be a problem. Less will always be faster but result depends entirely on which site. Where it matters I doubt you need numbers, will be noticable. Adblock must of course be set to reject download not just hide ads.

The new Adblock lets anyone make long and complicated lists since it optimize entries interally so no more need for geeky generic regular expressions. Used to be a requirement since long list meant slower output. http://adblockplus.org/en/ The old version, may be still the most used, is definitely slower. New is practially transparent to Firefox.

wr975:
Actually one of the things I am finding a bit frustrating with Outpost is that AdMuncher has dozens of connections open with MSN Messenger and Firefox - it isn't surprising that my system is slow at times !
-Carol Haynes (October 06, 2006, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

IMO the connections would be there without AdMuncher, so it can't be the cause of a slow system. If your system gets slow, try restarting Firefox.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version