ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Feature Request v2 - text replacement

(1/3) > >>

kfitting:
I was just surfing through some of the different posts here (it was a convoluted path and I dont remember which ones, sorry!) and noticed references to KeyText and ActiveWords.  These programs seem to do very similar things to FindRun with the addition of text replacement (activewords especially... launch programs, urls, etc by typing).  I currently use the free version of Shortkeys for text replacement (seriously considering buying the full version, however.  full: http://www.shortkeys.com/ ; free: http://www.shortkeys.com/lite.htm) and was wondering if text replacement is something that could be incorporated into FindRun.  I realize this would be a serious undertaking, the ONLY reason I bring it up at all is because it seems to be something that other similar apps have.  Just a thought.  Like I said, I'm considering purchasing ShortKeys so whether or not FindRun incorporates it at some later date doesnt bother me one way or the other!  (If it does though, it should be able to be turned off!)

Kevin

mouser:
i think this is something probably worth adding - i don't have much experience with text replacement tools so i'll have to learn what they actually do first.

kfitting:
Yeah.... like I said, I'm not sure this is necessarry for you to add.  There are a bunch of programs out there that do it, but I havent found a free one besides ShortKeys Lite, which limits the number of replacement texts to 15.  Whether or not it's worth the time and effort... that's up to you!  Shortkeys (full version) also does spellchecking/replacing (dont becomes don't etc).  Would it even be possible to include this kind of dictionary in FindRun?  I dont know.  Basically, this is just a feature I see in other similar programs... worth considering, but dont know if it's beneficial!

Kevin

mouser:
i think it's something worth adding - i'd just like to hear what people want from it.  would be nice to hear from those who really use these tools to get an idea of what the real functionality that they use is.

and of course, let's not get into the rut of just looking at other programs and implementing what they have - we need to think outside the box and come up with new features not yet thought of by anyone else..

Ampa:
Not convinced that this is a necessary feature of Find & Run.  To my mind F&R should stick to its original design... To be the fastest most capable application launcher in existance.  If we are considering the addition of text replacement, and a dictionary, then why not an on screen ruler? Or a colour picker? Or a fully fledged HTML WYSIWYG editor? How about a hidden first person shooter as a bonus when you press a secret key combination?

OK so I am being facetious (which BTW is one of only 2 words in the English language for contain the 5 vowels only once, and in alphabetical order) but the point is: lets keep F&R from becoming just another of those 'tries to cover all bases' bits of free / shareware that current flood the web.

Ampa.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version