ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Aghh -- they've done it again ... avoid Agnitum Outpost 4 (at least for now)

<< < (4/7) > >>

Black Mamba:
Can someone recommend a good and stable version 3.x of Agnitum?

And maybe a link to the installer too since I can only find the current version on Agnitum webpage.

NeilS:
The thing I don't understand is if self protection is supposed to stop you altering files, storing extra files in the program folder and even stop you physically moving files in defragmentation - how come you can do it when you disable Outpost - and it isn't undone when you restart it ?
-Carol Haynes (October 05, 2006, 04:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting point - assuming Outpost records which sectors of the hard disk its files use, it should notice that they have changed when you re-enable it after a defrag (assuming they do change, of course) and notify you (just in case you weren't doing a defrag). Even if it doesn't notify you, it certainly has to re-record the sectors it's using, otherwise it will be protecting the wrong bit of the disk (which could be pretty disasterous). I hope that's not one of the outstanding bugs.  :o

I'm not sure that they're likely to implement an undo feature for when the file positions do change. For a start, that will undo part of your defragger's work, which I'm sure a lot of people will dislike, and implementing the undo would probably take them halfway towards their own defragger implementation, which might be a bit much for a firewall app.

chrisclu:
Yes I am using version 4 and I just did a defrag waiting to make this reply.  Sorry I can't figure out what is different in our systems. I always have the latest beta as I am one of the testers but the last beta is the release version.

Carol Haynes:
Yes I am using version 4 and I just did a defrag waiting to make this reply.  Sorry I can't figure out what is different in our systems. I always have the latest beta as I am one of the testers but the last beta is the release version.
-chrisclu (October 05, 2006, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well this is what it says ...

Known Issues:

1. Outpost's Self-Protection will block any action with the potential to affect Outpost, including copying files into the Outpost program folder or relocating files (including disk defragmenters and registry/file cleanup utilities). There is currently no way to specify exceptions for trusted programs but Self-Protection can be disabled temporarily to allow a specific action. Users running other security software that controls file/registry access may prefer to configure this to cover Outpost's configuration instead.
--- End quote ---

taken from  Outpost 4.0 - What to Expect

I haven't tried defragging when it is running so I can't say what happens here - but presumably there is some effect if you run a defragmenter while Outpost 4 is loaded otherwise it wouldn't be loaded as a known issue ???

tinyvillager:
Can someone recommend a good and stable version 3.x of Agnitum?

And maybe a link to the installer too since I can only find the current version on Agnitum webpage.
-Black Mamba (October 05, 2006, 04:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

A little late on the response but a response none the less.

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=outfirewall

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version