ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Netflix contest: $1M to developer of best movie recommendation engine

<< < (2/6) > >>

allen:
Hi,

@Gerome: we'd still accept you if you'd show less negativity, really!
-brotherS (October 02, 2006, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

What about negativity ?
Because 1 million of Euro is > to 1 million of USD ?
ROFL
-Gerome (October 02, 2006, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

But perhaps the point, Gerome, is that 1 millsion USD > Nothing
 -- and as an American company, USD would make sense as the prize, no?

Gerome:
Hello,

But perhaps the point, Gerome, is that 1 millsion USD > Nothing
 -- and as an American company, USD would make sense as the prize, no?
-allen (October 02, 2006, 11:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ok Allen et al, I've just seen my jokes are just badly interpreted... I'm sorry for you... :)
BTW, this offer seems nice.

brotherS:
I'm sorry for you...
-Gerome (October 03, 2006, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
And here you go again...

mouser:
interesting blog critisizing the approach:
http://www.feedblog.org/2006/10/netflix_ranking.html

If you assume they can get 4x compression out of this dataset you're still looking at 50G which you'll probably have to query at runtime. This probably means a memory based cluster and to do that you'll need at least $15-20k at a minimum to get started.

What Netflix should do is allow teams to pitch them their proposals and fund their research with a winning prize of $1M.
--- End quote ---

JavaJones:
I'm not a coder but it seems to me you wouldn't necessarily need to use the whole data set to prototype and see if your results net reasonable gains. I presume they are supporting this to a reasonable degree by providing a good amount of info about their current system (if not source code). If that's the case it should be reasonable to extrapolate results for your test data set size/range and work against that. If you can show significant potential in a new approach I would think they will work with you to scale it up and see if it's really practical. It only makes sense from their end to do so.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version