topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 4:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Why do browsers have a 'show password' button?  (Read 3029 times)

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
Why do browsers have a 'show password' button?
« on: September 04, 2008, 08:52 AM »
I've never really got this and was wondering if anyone could fill me in.

I don't understand why programs have a show password button inside the browser options and it might have to be the reason I remove Chrome.

At home I'm happy but at work I don't feel comfortable with someone walking up to my PC and then listing every username and password I have in the system.

IE just doesn't do it, fine. Firefox allows the passwords to be protected by a master password. You type that password once per session and then to show the passwords, fine. Chrome does neither, you just get to see them all.

Luckily the master password stopped Chrome from just importing them all, nice to see there is some security there in firefox. But I like Chrome and hope that this is just the learning curve of Beta software.

Graham
Learning C# - Graham Robinson

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why do browsers have a 'show password' button?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 10:21 AM »
Mostly because it's a convenience for users especially if you mistype a password and am scratching your head why you can't log in.

Most users ignore the master password feature because it can be a headache being an administrator for your own password especially when you're not used to it. Sometimes you just accidentally close your browser and need to retype it. Other times, you just don't need it. It's probably going to be fixed in future versions when there's enough demand for it but I think Google would be better just serving up extensions so you could use the myriad of online password managers out there if you don't use Keepass and other offline password managers.