ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Buying New PC. Suggestions?

<< < (5/14) > >>

app103:
A tip from my dad was to buy a major brand...refurbished.

It's cheaper than totally new...and you'll get more bang for your buck.

My daughter's laptop carries an original price tag of about $3000...my dad paid $1500, including a 2 year extended warranty.

My desktop has an original price tag of about $1200...my dad paid about $800.

Both are HP's.

f0dder:
"Refurbished" has a bad sound to it, though. Especially "refurbished harddrive".

app103:
"Refurbished" has a bad sound to it, though. Especially "refurbished harddrive".

-f0dder (October 02, 2006, 05:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

HP's refurbs are good. Someone sends something back that is under warranty and they replace with a new pc. Then they take a look at what is wrong with the one sent back, replace the defective parts, wipe the HD's and reset the OS, and then test it, repackage it and resell it.

They don't actually fix individual parts...they replace them with new.

Often times you are getting a little more than you were supposed to.

In the case of my desktop, it was supposed to be 3.0 ghz with 512mb ram...turned out to be a 3.2 ghz with a gig of ram.

MilesOhToole:
Ok fellas, check this out and tell me what you think.  I've "built" a system online at globalcomputers.com (where my employer will get me a discount).

Here's the specs:

¤Intel Pentium D 840 3.2 GHz Dual Core Processor

¤Windows XP Home (to be upgraded later to Pro)

¤1GB DDR400 PC3200 Memory

¤250GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive

¤52X CDROM

¤16X DVD Drive w/Cyberlink Software (whatever that is...)

¤ATI Radeon 9500 256MB AGP (I know it's AGP, but the system I'm working with didn't offer a PCIe card)

¤Integrated 10/100 Network Adapter

¤3.5" Floppy Drive

¤17" .27 CRT Monitor

Price (before my employee discount) $759.97

The system I built upon is THIS one.  Let me know if you think there's anything critical to upgrade or downgrade at this point.

And thanks again.

mouser:
i would not recommend this:

1) you dont need cdrom and dvd drive.  just 1 will do fine.
2) CRT -> i HIGHLY suggest you get an lcd.  i recently moved to lcd and the different is dramatic in terms of desk space, convenience, image quality.

i wouldnt worry about the pci-e but i would absolutely worry about the monitor.

i also would try to decide if you are going to upgrade to xp pro for real, and if so, get a machine which comes with xp pro - you really dont want to have to upgrade it..

this price doesnt seem so great to me, but i don't know these things so it might be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version