ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

foobar...honestly...WTF?! WTF?!

<< < (4/15) > >>

kimmchii:
dont forget the Noise Sharpening DSP plugin, more info here.

JavaJones:
Looks like there's a similar "Noise Sharpening" plugin for Winamp. Not sure it does the same thing quite, or is as effective, but the results sound the same as described in that thread. One of the benefits of using one of the most popular players is lots of support, of course. ;)

- Oshyan

superboyac:
superboyac: can you post some info on how you have configured foobar? I used to use winamp, but after realizing that I don't care about skins and don't use visualizations these days, I've switched to foobar. Default setup seems pretty okay to me, although I wouldn't mind albumart or something :)
-f0dder (September 27, 2006, 04:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'll attach a screenshot of something I've managed to muster together in the past few days by stealing from others' configurations.  If you like it, I can send you the files to put it together, but there are a couple of minor steps involved.  Here's the screenshot:
foobar...honestly...WTF?!  WTF?!
There is A LOT of scripting in what is in that screenshot.  I learned just enough to tweak it a little to my tastes.

By the way, I figured out why the foobar forum is such a major pain in the ass to use:  when you search for a keyword or something, it just returns a listing of threads that have that keyword in it.  It doesn't direct you to the actual post that contains the keyword.  And a lot of the threads are several pages (some even over 100 pages), so it's next to impossible to find anything.  What a garbage forum.  I wasted a lot of time trying to find answers.

100 pages in that thread? Good god. Well, I looked through a few. Very little seemed particularly different or cool. I did like the album view in the playlist and the heirarchical media library (explorer-like). There was also mention of color coding in playlist as tracks end, for low bitrate files, etc. which seems novel but not really something I think I'd get much use out of.

My biggest question is whether you can easily save full configs. I mean let's say a "skin" or "template" or "config" consists of a layout, but the layout is dependent on several plugins I may not have. Can you easily package up all dependent files to share with others? I would imagine there's an easy way to share configs, but if it involves much more than equivalent Winamp skinning I can't say I'm inclined to fiddle with it. There just doesn't seem to be much real benefit.

Also of vital, vital importance to me: I'm sure it can read the Shoutcast directory, but does it have basically all the same online content as Winamp, like XM Radio? If not, no deal. Free streaming media rules. :D

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (September 27, 2006, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
As far as saving full configs, I don't think you can do that.  However, it seems like some of the components that make up the configuration have import options that you can use to import some aspects of the configuration.  A lot of the files can be found in the forum.  Also, many people post their scripting codes for the customizations they have made, which can be cut/pasted into the appropriate areas of your own preferences.  So it's not a one step solution, but it's not that bad either.  What's worse is trying to find anything in the forums.

As for plugins, there's a foobar component that will allow you to use Winamp DSP plugins, in case there isn't the plugin available for foobar.  I don't know about streaming shoutcast, i would imagine it's available since it's such a popular thing.  I use the winamp dsp plugin to use DFX.

f0dder:
kimmchii: foo_dsp_delta doesn't work here (foobar2000 0.9.2), and then author's page doesn't work either.

The thing that irks me about foobar is that it's so... messy. All those tweaks and extra downloads from small & obscure sites, if you don't like the vanilla looks. And the very lacking documentation, so you have to resort to forum-hunting. I've become too old for that :). Luckily it does work okay out-of-the-box.

(Too bad musikCube hasn't been updated for ages, that's a nice & interesting player as well.)

kimmchii:
ok i upload it here.
i just tried it with foobar ver 0.94 in virtual pc, it worked.
(i am still using foobar 0.8.3,  :D)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version