ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

foobar...honestly...WTF?! WTF?!

<< < (2/15) > >>

allen:
Foobar isn't a media player replacement for you if you just want a simple application that does what you expect it to do.  It's to media players what linux is to operating systems -- potentially immensely versatile/customizable/powerful but inherently unusable for anyone who isn't a geek expecting to spend a great deal of time tweaking.

vegas:
You're pretty much bang on the money.

Foobar is like 7-zip (and quite a few others). Good software, with an impossible interface. Neither of the rise to the level of decent usability. The programmers aren't interested in that aspect of software.
-Renegade (September 24, 2006, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're kidding right?  OMFG foobar has more usability and features than any audio player out there (add plugins too).  It's VERY deep.  It just so happens to also be VERY poorly documented.  Take the time, learn it, it's Uber powerful.  Unfortunately is does feel like learning regex syntax or scripting or another not so learn it in an hour task.

edit by jgpaiva: fixing quote

superboyac:
Thanks for the help guys.  That columns ui plugin is essential, mouser, good find.

Vegas, you're right, foobar is very deep.  I had no idea it could do the things it's capable of, my goodness.  You can basically make your own music player, just the way you want.  Maybe someday, I'll spend a week and design the perfect one for myself.

What I wish for, besides better documentation, is an organized, central place to find user settings, scripts, plugins, etc.  It's a pain in the ass to find anything.  And searching their forum sucks because of the way it shows search results.

An amazingly powerful program, though.

leland:
Here is a link to a post at the Hydrogen Audio forum that covers the plug-ins for v0.9.x.  Also, the forums here are a very good source of information on using Foobar.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=42730&hl=columns

Leland
 :D

JavaJones:
So the question then is - if you don't have some crazy audio setup or automation needs or whatnot - what is the real advantage of Foobar? Why should I use this instead of say Winamp? Sure it's "lighter", but it seems a lot like the Opera vs. Firefox thing - in order to get all the Winamp functionality I'd want out of Foobar I'd have to use a bunch of plugins anyway, so it may not be so light anymore, and certainly is more difficult to setup. Opera and Winamp both work and have tons of functionality "out of the box".

I'm sure making converts of people isn't a priority with an app like that and I'm not asking for evangelism, but I do wonder sometimes if I'm missing something good. :D

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version