ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

who dares wins - my challenge to you.

<< < (4/6) > >>

nudone:
that sounds like a great experiment to try, app. it's also good to hear that you managed to accomplish your chosen task.

the only thing that strikes me as possibly going wrong with your isolation experiment, is that after the novelty period has worn off you'll start to avoid the room(s) where the task takes place. i'm sure your subconscious will be capable of inventing reasons why you should not go into the room.

basically, i'm just saying, be aware - i feel that the task and the room will become one and the same thing.

i really hope it works for you and it will be interesting to hear how you carry on after the first week/month. do please keep us informed.

as for my task/project that i had set myself to finish by the end of september - it was the cody wallpapers. i almost got everything done - there are a few unfinished that i still seem to be avoiding - hopefully i'll do them today. but, overall, i have to be pleased that i managed to get most of the project done.

how did everyone else do?

did anyone not manage anything at all?

app103:
the only thing that strikes me as possibly going wrong with your isolation experiment, is that after the novelty period has worn off you'll start to avoid the room(s) where the task takes place. i'm sure your subconscious will be capable of inventing reasons why you should not go into the room.

basically, i'm just saying, be aware - i feel that the task and the room will become one and the same thing.
-nudone (October 01, 2006, 03:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

That already is the problem...I already avoid those rooms in order to avoid the tasks...which is why I am going to force myself to do this.

I have been avoiding those rooms for years...and it really looks like it too. I'd share pics but it's embarrassing.  :-[

I hate housework with a passion! The only place in the house that looks decent is the space I occupy the most...my desk area...and the bathroom, because dirty bathrooms scare me.

My task this week was to make my kitchen presentable enough to let in the landlord so he could replace a worn out faucet, which was supposed to be done on Saturday, but he had a lot of other work to do in the apartment across the hall and can't get to my sink till Sunday.

jgpaiva:
I will either become bored out of my mind and sit there like an idiot, or get something done.
-app103 (October 01, 2006, 12:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
;D ;D ;D

If you want to try this for yourself, create a place where there are no distractions...nothing interesting that you can use to avoid your tasks. Put everything you need to complete your most procrastinated task there, some sort of timer, and nothing more.
-app103 (October 01, 2006, 12:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've tried your idea too, that's why i consider that instantboss is fantastic for me. My only problem is that all the work i have to get done is stuff in my computer, which means it is in the exact same place where i get distracted and there's no "phisical" way to escape.
My only solution to this is to use instantboss and make an enormous effort not to do anything other than work and stop working in the defined moments.
But...

after the novelty period has worn off you'll start to avoid the room(s) where the task takes place
--- End quote ---
Yes, i've stopped using it.

>:( >:( it's stupid, i feel mad at myself for not doing anything, and still, don't.

app103:
I've tried your idea too, that's why i consider that instantboss is fantastic for me. My only problem is that all the work i have to get done is stuff in my computer, which means it is in the exact same place where i get distracted and there's no "phisical" way to escape.
My only solution to this is to use instantboss and make an enormous effort not to do anything other than work and stop working in the defined moments.
But...

after the novelty period has worn off you'll start to avoid the room(s) where the task takes place
--- End quote ---
Yes, i've stopped using it.

>:( >:( it's stupid, i feel mad at myself for not doing anything, and still, don't.
-jgpaiva (October 01, 2006, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

hmmm...maybe I should think about putting in some sort of really cool reward for when you finish the full work/break cycle. Something to keep you wanting to use it. I have an idea, but I am not going to say anything about it yet.  ;)

Lilly:
how did everyone else do?

did anyone not manage anything at all?
--- End quote ---

Worked on it the first two days after the challenge, and then kept doing the "I'll do it later", and "yeah, I'll get to it tonight, I have more pressing things to do". Before I knew, it was Sunday, and the huge pile is still there  >:(

I did, however, realize that part of my problem is that when I have a lot to do, I go on auto-pilot, and in a way I "check out". That makes what I'm doing completely mindless, and I disconnect from what I'm experiencing, and what works better for me. That goes for procrastination as well as work. I think mindfulness, being aware of the task at hand, is very significant, and might be key in actually making decisions about what to do at the moment.

Not sure what to do next.... I have a list of tasks as big as my head from last week that I didn't get to. I am having a very difficult time managing all the schoolwork I have to do. I like app's idea above about locking myself in a room until I work on X for Y hours. But, like jgpaiva above, most of my work is on the computer.

Ah well.... I'll keep trying different things, until something sticks. That's what this experiment is all about, no?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version