ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

kmplayer, whoa!!!

<< < (5/6) > >>

Darwin:
OK, thanks guys. I'll have to check this out for myself.

EDIT: Actually, no need... This thread got me thinking and I took a look at GOMPlayer, which is my favourite media player - it has its own codecs to handle both QT and RP files. So... I uninstalled both QT Alt and RP Alt and associated GOMPlayer with all of their respective file types. Not only do I no longer have any Apple or Real components installed (as evident from the fact that the Apple and Real folders are now absent from Program Files and the various Application Data folders under Documents and Settings) but all of their files play just fine in GOM  :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
Afaik "quicktime alternative" had the official quicktime codec stuff ripped out of the official package - so you would still be using "real quicktime", just without the bollocks player, intrusive auto-updater, etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same story with QT Lite, so it'll probably be taken down by apple as well. I wonder why they don't just smell the coffee and realize people hate their player, and just offer unobtrusive codecs instead.

Darwin:
Interesting fodder. I wonder how GOMPlayer is handling these file types? The Preferences section allows the user to opt to associate QT and RP file types with native GOM codecs and as mentioned removing both QT and RP Alternatives also ridded me of Apple and Real settings folders. Still, I suspect that GOM is using the official codecs as well. I don't care, it works, it's two fewer programmes installed on my machine and I am happy!

Lashiec:
I like the official QuickTime player :)

*hides*

Darwin:
*Darwin throws his cookies at his computer monitor. Feels sheepish*

Ha ha, Lashiec. No need to hide (projectile cookies notwithstanding). I didn't really have an issue with QuickTime (like you I quite liked it - I even have a licence for the Pro version), but I seized upon the opportunity to get rid of Apple software. iTunes was really getting up my nose and I ripped it out (all those services and tasks running in the background with no way to get rid of them). I decided to get rid of QuickTime as well because I simply do not use any of the Pro features and because an Apple-free Windows machine just feels right!  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version