ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best jukebox that is NOT iTunes?

<< < (5/8) > >>

KenR:
Media Center is my favorite. I've used it for years and it's constantly being updated. It will even sync with my iRiver mp3 player. The only other program that will (and what iRiver says to use) is Windows Media Player.

Ken

Renegade:
I have zero loyalty to software when I find something better... But at the moment, this is my list of media players & what I'll use them for, and WHY:

PlayerUsed ForWhyALSongListening to musicThe PLAYLIST makes life easy. Worlds beyond anything else out there that I've seen. I can't tell you how much I love the playlist...Music Match JukeboxAlarm clockI need to get up in the morning :) PowerDVD 4DVDsIt works (but crashes when I click stop), and it was free with my DVD burnerALShowVideosIt's just easy to use and plays everything I need (DVD support is sketchy, hence PowerDVD)Real PlayerSome RealMedia filesNothing else works properlyiTunesSynching podcasts with my iPod NanoToo lazy/busy to try an alternative.Foobar2000Anything that doesn't work in another playerGood file supportWindows Media PlayerVerifying filesJust to check that files work in it
Most of those are all quite good at what they do (iTunes excluded). Each of them has their shortcomings, and strengths.

Just so you know, I work for the company that produces ALSong and ALShow. I use them both at home (ALShow at home mostly, and ALSong at the office.) I listen to music 9+ hours a day. I've tried to be fair in my assessment, but take it as you will.

I have not ordered those.

I have not tried MediaCube or some others. I do like nice interfaces and am willing to sacrifice some functionality for usability in consumer level software. (Professional level software is a different story.) e.g. Foobar2000 has very good functionality, but lacks some usability. So that's a 'fallback' application for me. Access is highly usable, but I prefer MS SQL Server as it's just better for everything that I need.

mouser:
Nice review of MediaMonkey:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2006/09/26/mediamonkey-review-the-ultimate-music-player-and-library-organizer/

grantw7:
I just tried most out - MediaMonkey was my choice as I have files spread over 6 hard drives & the first thing it wanted to do when I launched it was find them all for me.

TomColvin:
I bought a Creative ZEN and installed Creative MediaSource Player on my laptop.  Immediately I experienced the worst crash I've ever experienced.  Thank goodness for XP's rollback feature.

Since the crash, I've been at a loss about how to proceed with the ZEN.  Any ideas?

BTW, I've reviewed relevant threads here and have downloaded mp3tagr and XMplay, which I'll install momentarily.  So much for my other projects today...

Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version