ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

My favorite software! What's yours?

<< < (37/55) > >>

BrokenNails:
1.  Sandboxie - I haven't even seen a false positive, much less any real malware since I started doing all my surfing in a sandbox.
-howiem (July 02, 2007, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
Have you experienced any major slowdowns when browsing within Sandboxie? I found that whenever I had more than, say, two or three tabs open in Firefox I would be browsing fine and then suddenly, BAM, everything starts timing out and the only solution is to kill the current sandbox and restart it.
-BrokenNails (July 02, 2007, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
After further investigation I've discovered that Ad Muncher was causing the problem. I had tried disabling it in the past without effect - it seems you need to shut it down entirely!

howiem:

After further investigation I've discovered that Ad Muncher was causing the problem. I had tried disabling it in the past without effect - it seems you need to shut it down entirely!
[/quote]

I have never used Ad-Cruncher, but IE7 w/o add-ons works a lot better in the sandbox than the full blown IE7.  I just tried Avant which has a lot more features than AM Browser, and it also works OK in the sanebox, whoops, sandbox  ;D, as does Opera, Firefox and TheWorld browser. 

Nxqd3051990:
I found strokeit is so amazing :)
nXqd

Curt:
We talk very often about virtual sandboxes as if they are security devices. And I will say they are. But at the same time they might be classified as RootKits!!! This is the scanning result from another favorite of mine: RootKit Hook Analyzer 3.01 (was updated today):

My favorite software! What's yours?

One favorite that I tried but couldn't afford to buy was Registrar from the same company, Resplendence because is was €45. But during this July there is a 30% rebate. You really should think about it; I was sad I didn't have the money back then, but now it just may be affordable:

Registrar Registry Manager offers a very complete and safe solution to administrators and power users for maintaining  the registry on both their desktops and remote computers on their network.

Apart from common features, like those offered by the native Windows registry editors (regedit.exe and  regedt32.exe) this program offers a solution for backing up and restoring registries, fast background  search and replace, a bookmark editor with categories which supports key coloring and adding descriptions  to registry keys and values, detailed property pages, tools for easy navigation. The program offers multi-level undo so all registry changes can be individually undone.

The software offers a registry defragmenter, a registry monitor which logs l changes made to the registry by external programs as well as security editors which allow you to set access  restrictions on your registry keys.

Version 5.50 adds support for Windows Vista, includng the x64 editions.

http://www.resplendence.com/registrar
--- End quote ---

Take a tour at http://www.resplendence.com/registrar_features

Darwin:
Too late for me, Curt, as I bought Registry Manager last year. However, thanks for letting us know about the discount - it's a great tool  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version