ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

My favorite software! What's yours?

<< < (15/55) > >>

gsull:
Software I could not live without:

FARR : I find myself trying to bring it up on other peoples computers and forgetting that it's not part of windows.

Notepad++ : Very fast, very integrated, very powerful.  Haven't touched notepad or wordpad in months.

UltraVNC : lots of features, free, maintained regularly

Ableton Live : makes music production a hell of a lot of fun. 

Audacity : FREE! great for quick audio projects when I don't feel like using the massive, messy ProTools

Firefox : haven't used IE in years, don't think I ever will again.

IZarc : I've yet to find a better-made archive tool.

VLC Media Player : ugly, but extremely powerful and reliable

MAX/MSP : I hate coding, but somehow, even though this it's basically coding, I enjoy dragging lines around to boxes.  Makes it more like a logic puzzle, and a game, rather than a chore.  Mostly used for art installations, or other media-related coding needs.

gussan:
The first FAVORITE, Total Commander, THE BEST file manager ever. I cannot live without it.

wreckedcarzz:
My favorite piece of software would have to be...
well, I can't pick just 1 cause there are way too many on my PC...so probobly a 3-way tie between Process Tamer, Internet Explorer 7, and a little program called CleanUp!

superticker:
Courier (email)
-mrainey (September 27, 2006, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm glad to see someone mentioned the Courier 3.5 e-mail client.  What makes Courier really good is not the client itself (although it's very good), but that it integrates with the Time & Chaos 6.0 PIM.  T&C is an excellent PIM.  There are many user definable fields, it syncs to your PDA (either Palm or Pocket PC), and it even exports its database in XML format.

Courier can add e-mail addresses to T&C and vice versa.  Chaos Software is currently selling Time & Chaos 7.0, but currently only the T&C version 6 database is compatible with Courier 3.5.

Courier 3.5 is an excellent e-mail client in its own right, but users that get lots of spam and know how to write strong regexp's will like it best with its powerful filtering capacity.  You can even have its filters color code your e-mail titles.

Courier's down side is its (1) poor handling of default and foreign fonts, (2) poor IMAP4 support, (3) poor template support, and (4) it won't reflow quoted text in replies.  Many other e-mail clients aren't much better.  TheBat! doesn't suffer from these four flaws, but it won't integrate with a powerful PIM either as Courier can.

tmpusr:
Wetware, for the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posthuman in you: read a multiply awarded book http://www.accelerando.org/ free online. Advanced use only. Strict minimum consciousness and knowledge level requirements apply.

For exocortical use:

VirtuaWin

It's in constant use. Thousands of times per day. The OS, I feel, sucks without it almost as bad as it does without FARR. I use it by mousing to left and right screen edge. Set it up with about 150 ms delay and 20 pixel jump. I usually use only horizontal screens, cause even a 3 by 3 grid makes my puny primate brain hurt.

1 or 2 file managing
1 search
1 text editor
1 info managing
1 audio player
1 video player
1 browsing
1 remote desktop

The machines on Remote Desktop or VNC use vertical mouse switching.

Absolutely, positively, indispensable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version