ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

My favorite software! What's yours?

<< < (52/55) > >>

jgpaiva:
And for university times: because of some admin's idea to take off privileges from ANYONE (even IT students), it was impossible to do what you advice.
-fenixproductions (July 18, 2008, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
[offtopic :)](emphasis mine)
Well.. Judging from me and my colleagues (I'm in Computer Science), I think those are exactly the ones that pose more danger to the computers :) [/offtopic]

lanux128:
Theoritically it might work. In practise: in many cases computers switch off ATX power handling if you choose such options. I've tried this option but each time it works for keys but gives "Now it is safe to switch off computer" message for standard shutdown. The only way to have both functionalities (no msgs, no keys) is to rip off the last ones.-fenixproductions (July 18, 2008, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

if the message is displayed then either the power supply is not ATX-compliant or APM support has not been enabled in the BIOS. because iirc ATX was designed to enable users to shut-down from software-side instead of the pseudo-shutdown in the AT chassis where the message is displayed. on another note, public computers are on a different spectrum altogether. ;)

40hz:
My current hands-down favorite is the oddly named Write Monkey.-40hz (July 17, 2008, 09:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried WriteMonkey ("WM") a year or so ago, but found it to be too 'odd'. Your praise made me give it another try, but once again it failed to please me. I made myslef acquainted with the strange GUI, and I accepted the various features, I guess you must call them. ...

I did find find some features about WriteMonkey that I like. Nevertheless it will now leave my PC.
-Curt (July 18, 2008, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

:(
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I think the thing that has to be kept in mind about software like this is what audience (and intended use) it is attempting to address. I would hesitate to characterize WriteMonkey as a text editor per sce. It is intended to be a tool for writers who are looking for something to facilitate a practice known as "writing hot" or "writing in the zone." It's basically just for brain dumps. Go outside that audience/usage and the program is sadly lacking in many respects. Everybody in my writer's group (including the techno-weenies) loves it for getting a raw first draft out of their head and onto the page. After that it's MS Word all the way.

As far as "strange" GUIs go, WriteMonkey pretty much borrows from the venerable XYWriter - an old DOS dragon that was extremely popular (or at least widely used) by journalists, writers, and other odd types back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. In short, it doesn't have a GUI. The thing that is interesting about command-key driven apps is that they are somewhat difficult to learn - but easy to use once you do. Contrast that with many mouse/menu oriented apps that are easy to learn, but less convenient to use once you master the basics - until you start using the hot-keys!

allen:
My current hands-down favorite is the oddly named Write Monkey.
-40hz (July 17, 2008, 09:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's beautiful. . . I haven't written anything "creative" in years, so likely have no use for it but were I to find myself writing again I think it'd be in that program.

What I wouldn't give for a Windows Mobile version of it!

zridling:
I've enjoyed the Xfe file manager (Linux) lately. Looks and works a lot like 2xplorer for Windows, and even has a 3-pane option which is handy. I had no idea there's about a dozen Linux file managers that look and work a lot like the Windows versions.

Here's some more screenshots and a blog review.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version