ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

My favorite software! What's yours?

<< < (51/55) > >>

Curt:
My current hands-down favorite is the oddly named Write Monkey.-40hz (July 17, 2008, 09:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried WriteMonkey ("WM") a year or so ago, but found it to be too 'odd'. Your praise made me give it another try, but once again it failed to please me. I made myslef acquainted with the strange GUI, and I accepted the various features, I guess you must call them. And I thought, okay, I can live with that, this could work for me! Then I told it to start with Windows, and restarted my XP to see how WM would perform at startup. At start, a message box popped up and told me that 'null' was missing, and all of my text was deleted and I had to start all over with a blank page.

It seems you have to gently close this program, before shutting down the computer? I didn't, and I won't. I just told XP to close, and left WM open. And because of this (?) the text was deleted. I find such a behaviour unacceptable, given WM has 'auto-save'.

I was also sadly surprised that I was not given the option to change a single hotkey - on my machine F12 will close down the computer.

I did find find some features about WriteMonkey that I like. Nevertheless it will now leave my PC.

f0dder:
Sadly, a lot of programs don't handle the WM_QUERYENDSESSION message, and thus won't save settings / open documents if the user shuts down his computer. The Bat! is one of those programs, so if you change settings you'll need to exit it before rebooting, or settings are lost. But I digress.

Mapping F12 to shutdown? Eek. On keyboards with a dedicated shutdown button, I always end up tearing said button off, after much cursing and swearing.

fenixproductions:
2f0dder
You are lucky. During my studies *each* PC had a keyboard iwth power/sleep/somthin' buttons under standard Del/End/PgDn. Imagine the howling during lessons or coding tests. PC went crazy like woman's mood during "these days" ;)

BTW My fav apps:
- Total Commander - file manager,
- MirandaIM - multi-rpotocol messeging client,
- Opera - web browser,
- TheBat! - e-mails,
- small tools from ex-Sysinternals...

lanux128:
Mapping F12 to shutdown? Eek. On keyboards with a dedicated shutdown button, I always end up tearing said button off, after much cursing and swearing.-f0dder (July 18, 2008, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
much anguish could have been avoided by going to the control panel. ;)

fenixproductions:
2lanux128
Theoritically it might work. In practise: in many cases computers switch off ATX power handling if you choose such options. I've tried this option but each time it works for keys but gives "Now it is safe to switch off computer" message for standard shutdown. The only way to have both functionalities (no msgs, no keys) is to rip off the last ones.

And for university times: because of some admin's idea to take off privileges from ANYONE (even IT students), it was impossible to do what you advice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version