ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OpenDNS - safer, faster and smarter DNS

<< < (2/6) > >>

nosh:
Just in case I'm not the last one to find this out, OpenDNS has been jacking all Google searches since the last several months.

Pinging Google with Opendns servers active gets :
Pinging google.navigation.opendns.com [208.67.219.230] with 32 bytes of data:

They claim they're just trying to fix what Google+Dell's spyware has broken. :D

iphigenie:

Pinging google.navigation.opendns.com [208.67.219.230] with 32 bytes of data:

-nosh (January 31, 2008, 11:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's probably a good way to finance the service, jack URLS so they are linked to your affiliate deals.
Maybe it adds its affiliate code when you go to amazon and other places too, and frankly, why not - if you use them let them make money to cover the costs.

nosh:
Fair enough - AFAIK they're already doing that with typo-squatting. Hi-jacking Google completely?... I dunno  :-\
I still use them (though only as a backup) so can't really complain.

davidu:
That's probably a good way to finance the service, jack URLS so they are linked to your affiliate deals.
Maybe it adds its affiliate code when you go to amazon and other places too, and frankly, why not - if you use them let them make money to cover the costs.
-iphigenie (February 01, 2008, 02:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

We don't ever do that.  And if we decided to do it, we'd say we do it and be open about it.  We've never been otherwise.

Just in case I'm not the last one to find this out, OpenDNS has been jacking all Google searches since the last several months.-nosh
--- End quote ---

That's not true -- it's a proxy.  Much like a corporate proxy; and it's used for certain kinds of traffic for people who choose to use opendns.  It still goes to Google and we have close contacts with Google who are well aware of and okay with what we're doing.  We didn't do that for a reason.  But it does make it easier for folks to come up with wild conspiracy theories.  Although typically people just assume we are Google (we aren't).

Furthermore...

We put the CNAME referral to google.navigation.opendns.com to be EXPLICITLY clear about what we're doing.  We could have just as easily put no reverse DNS in place, no referral record, or even just made the reverse dns match www.google.com and most of you would be none-the-wiser.

Happy to discuss...

-david

Josh:
David: I assume you are associated with opendns?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version