ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Vista has gone nuts: [Major] Help please?

<< < (4/4)

wreckedcarzz:
Also, one more question (I'm just one big inquiry :P): Is it possible to backup Vista's Voice Recognition data? This is probably the most important thing to me besides my programming stuff, and I can't seem to find any info on where it is stored. If anyone has any info on where it might be stored or how to backup/restore it properly, that would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot - a change in search keywords reveals a simple solution: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=cd72250f-2e02-430e-8f99-e1acae760564&DisplayLang=en

wreckedcarzz:
Alright, I'm back from Vista Install Hell installing Vista. Everything has gone without a hitch, except the wasted 6 hours on the phone with support and getting Vista activated. Oh, and Windows Anytime Upgrade won't work now. Home Basic blows big time. >:(

Other than that, and UAC, everything is amazingly faster. All in all I think it was worth it - I did the format and restore properly this time, getting everything down to my Firefox profile (including extensions) backed up. :D

Off to make my "ready-to-go" disk image (the "initial install" is happily sitting on my external HD) and give WAU another go. Maybe I'll wake up and it works this time around. Anything's possible :P

(I'm still curious where that Virus came from, and how it did such seemingly random damage...)

Carol Haynes:
Why were you on the phone for 6 hours? And what problems did you have with reactivation?

You say Windows AnyTime no longer worked - what happened? Were you trying to use it from download installers or did you have the backup DVD?

Anyway glad you are back up and running.

wreckedcarzz:
I tried to use a Retail disk with an OEM key, and got the run around from eMachines (phone), eMachines (Live Chat), Microsoft Activation Support, multiple MS automated systems, and got redirected so many times that I lost count.

Turned out all they had to tell me/ask me was "Are you using the key on the machine's sticker, or from another source?" - the former worked. So much for support.

And no, Anytime Upgrade won't work now. It gets all the way to completion (as far as the 5 step process goes), but then it says that it has encountered an error and cannot install a component. Then the machine reboots and rolls back to Home Basic. I have 2 Retail DVDs along with my Anytime Upgrade DVD (what I was using). I plan on trying to Upgrade again here tonight.

Thanks for the help, though :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version