ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Feature Request v2 - time to get started

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
ok, i'm preparing to do some major work on Find&Run Robot, probably enough to push it to version 2.

and i'm trying to get my hands around all the requests and figure out what the scope of work to be done looks like.  expect this to take several weeks to a month since there is a lot to do.  but hopefully at the end f&r will blow away all of the competition. so i'm hoping you guys will work with me to make sure we find the best ideas that other tools have and do it bigger and better in F&R 2.

i think i have a pretty good handle on most of the feature requests; there are a couple though that i still don't know the best way to address,
that were raised in the first feature request thread.

so anyway, im trying to work out these ideas and sort out all the other suggestions.  i'd appreciate anyone who thinks they can recap their feature requests in a concise way to post it again to this thread, as clearly as you can.  once i sort out the scope of what i plan to add in version 2 i will go over it with you guys and make sure we are all agreed about the new system.

rbeeger:
Hi!
I'd like Find & Run to search inside Firefox bookmarks.
The bookmarks in Firefox can be found in a file bookmarks.html. The format is rather simple. So you'd need to parse it for a search. You don't need to find the current profile. It would be totally OK to ask the user to select the bookmarks.html files he wants to be part of the search.

rbeeger:
Hi!

I'd like to be able to search inside system settings and the network connections to find
* display properties
* computer management console
* the dial up to my dsl provider

mouser:
you know, you've given me an interesting idea..
like perhaps a way to have something like a "hint" file, that told f&r that certain keywords should be associated with certain files in certain locations.  so that if you typed certain things it would show you them.  so if you typed display properties it would know to show you the display propties control panel items, etc.  the Group Alias stuff already does this to some extent, but it's a little more manual.. i'll think more about this.

nontroppo:
Concise it is ;):

* Configurable URL Launcher: typing "wik bohemia" would launch the system default browser to do a wikipedia search on bohemia. This is available in Opera/Firefox etc and AppRocket. All you need is to insert the right value in the URL, config string would be like: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%s [li]Super Context![/li]
[li]Autocomplete: AppRocket and QuickSilver autoselect the item that currently matches. It means <enter> immediately starts the item. FRR because it has a text entry field separate from the search list needs <enter> to be pressed twice! Of course you can use the number buttons but I would also like to simply use <enter> (it is a larger and easier key to hit). More importantly - QuickSilver and AppRocket don't "split" attention because of this. In FRR we type in one place - and the results appear in another - forcing us to scan away from the typing position. Whatever kind of autocomplete is used allows attention to stay focused on one spot! You can see the various types of UI choice QS designs here; note the integrated method of typing and the results.[/li]
[li]Modifiers: if I type "i octopus", the search will only search for image files, "m bartok" searches only music files. EDIT: I just found this: an idea about an alternative to multiple configuration files, and it is more or less what I was looking for! +1 to whichever particular method gets chosen.[/li]
[li]Thumbnail view for images.[/li]
[li]+1 to rbeeger's suggestions for control panel etc. access[/li]
[/list]

FRR has many things going for it, and it is, overall, clearly the best of its kind on windows. I'd love to see it move up to the next level!

Thanks again for an excellent little utility!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version