ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

i'd like to buy some discipline please.

(1/9) > >>

nudone:
here's my confession:

i've read the books and i've embraced the philosophy - but i still become bored with certain tasks and so put them off to do other things.

i have doubt in my mind so i have to admit i'm not a 'true' believer (maybe i'm just lacking vigor this morning).

here's the problem as i see it (and that i keep repeating to mouser whenever i get the chance, which he already knows so it can't be of any help)...

buying a self-motivation (time management) book isn't buying discipline. that's all i need - that's all we need - discipline. well, self-discipline.

where can i buy some from. has anyone got some spare that they don't really need - name your price - if i comes with a guarantee i'll pay.

tomos:
I'm finding I'm now posting here instead of finishing my plan for the day which i should have done last night ...*

BUT,
I do notice, the more I put into effect, well, I am getting more disciplined - slowly, but i notice it.
I think its a bit like programming ourselves to work in a different way to previously.
Again,
BUT,
maybe we first have to do a bit of deprogramming to help us on our way?

To that end I have a "chuck it in the bin" list on my desk - mainly ideas re work:
I need to do this
I cant do that

The other idea i came across (& have also just started), is to write in a journal/notebook when you're struggling with anything. Have already found it helpful but have to add it to the system yet (will i ever read it again - with that I'm not even sure its necessary)

*so maybe I'm not qualified to talk?! Dont think I have enough discipline to sell any on at any rate :)
Anyways, just thought I'd throw those ideas out here anyway

app103:
Like I said in the IRC channel:

* You can buy a book on how to clean your house in 20 minutes.
* You can read that book on how to clean your house in 20 minutes.
* You can know how to clean your house in 20 minutes.
But that still doesn't make you want to clean your house.

Short of some heavy duty brainwashing of ourselves into thinking we actually like and want to do these things, I don't see a real solution.

nudone:
oh dear. we are doomed.

jgpaiva:
Here comes the positive guy:

Well... Since this experiment started, i've managed to at least, actually DO something. Even if it is just make lists or get out of the house to buy a calendar. I guess that's something.
I've also tried numerous methods, that while they were novelty for me, did work and actually helped me to get something done.
I guess my problem is when i get bored with them. Maybe my problem is that i can't have a routine.
I would definitelly buy discipline, but i also can tell you this: although it sure would be more productive if i could work from the moment i wake up to the moment i go to sleep, i'm not sure i'd like that.

That's why i am not always thinking about getting things done.
I'm trying to get things done but without rushing into things. I'm trying to slowly start getting more stuff done, since it's impossible to just start getting everything done from one second to the next.
And the method i've found more productive is by doing the stuff i feel like doing. If i'm doing something and i'm thinking "damn, i don't feel like doing this, i'd prefer being surfing the web or watching tv", i won't really put all my focus into it and it'll come out a pile of c**p.

I guess the best system is just to be conscient that stuff needs to get done. And that's where this experiment is a winner. Debating about it and reading about it sure has been a big help!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version