ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

Duplicated Folders/Directories...

(1/1)

awopbamboo:
Hi All

I have not posted for yonks, but still check back here every now and then...  I have a question or request if anyone is bored...

I have scanned the forum, and can't find anything relating to this...

Anyway. I am trying to find something that will scan for duplicate folders/directories. In that, a whole folder has been copied elsewhere and now two versions exist. A crude method could be that it simply checks the number of files and the names of the files (bur would be better if content/checksum were checked also).

I use onedrive, and if I scan for a file often it comes back in more than one destination. I am sure this is there I have accidentally copied a folder or uploaded the same images more than once.

I know I can use a filededupe (I created a command line one myself, which is why I now know I have duplicated folders). I appear to be using so much space on duplicated stuff, it is so annoying!

Anyone got anything that can do this at a folder level?

Cheers

publicdomain:
Hello @awopbamboo!

Such a tool can perform the check by:

* Directory name.
* File name and size (in bits).
* File checksum(s).
If it does it in this order, then the duplicate finding time can be sped-up.

I'm happy to do a tool with such a 3-step algorithm :)

(Specifying the resulting type of match)

Cheers!

Hi All

I have not posted for yonks, but still check back here every now and then...  I have a question or request if anyone is bored...

I have scanned the forum, and can't find anything relating to this...

Anyway. I am trying to find something that will scan for duplicate folders/directories. In that, a whole folder has been copied elsewhere and now two versions exist. A crude method could be that it simply checks the number of files and the names of the files (bur would be better if content/checksum were checked also).

I use onedrive, and if I scan for a file often it comes back in more than one destination. I am sure this is there I have accidentally copied a folder or uploaded the same images more than once.

I know I can use a filededupe (I created a command line one myself, which is why I now know I have duplicated folders). I appear to be using so much space on duplicated stuff, it is so annoying!

Anyone got anything that can do this at a folder level?

Cheers
-awopbamboo (April 13, 2023, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

publicdomain:
I'm happy to do a tool with such a 3-step algorithm ...
-publicdomain
--- End quote ---

It's on the way!  :)

Repo @ https://github.com/publicdomain/stepped-duplicated-folders

(with long path support right off the bat, via AlphaFS)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version