ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Advantages and disadvantages of NNTP Newsreaders

<< < (3/5) > >>

2stepsback:
I personally use Outlook Express for NNTP - and only for that. All other NNTP clients I've come about had pretty disagreeable user interfaces - especially Agent :) -f0dder (September 18, 2006, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've always used Google groups for usenet but I'm finding it more and more of a burden to conncet, log in,especially now that they made the interface clunkier than before - I'm a sucker for text and basic no-frills UIs.

My main worry is virus/worm/malware protection - OE is M$, used by everyone, and comes bundled with Windows. To me that means "tempting sitting duck for virus writers". So could anyone suggest a cheap/free method, plugin or newsreader which has some kind of inherent ability against viruses - AFAIK, good malware protection comes expensive - $40-$75 for Inernet security products from various companies.

EDIT: I want access to usenet programming groups only and not for any binaries. I prefer a method/program which will keep any and all active content blocked or out, by default, or by configuration

TIA,
-2stepsback

f0dder:
If you set OE to "text only" (and use OE QuoteFix), I _think_ you'll be reasonably safe - afaik, the OE exploits are really for IE's html engine...

2stepsback:
If you set OE to "text only" (and use OE QuoteFix), I _think_ you'll be reasonably safe - afaik, the OE exploits are really for IE's html engine...-f0dder (April 02, 2007, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ok. I also tried out Opera, looks good as well.
Will be getting spamassassin as well ... just in case.
As far as Antiviruses go, I have a question: What is meant by personal use only? I have only one PC - Windows XP Pro SP2, and it is my home *and* work PC (work from home), so can I or can't I use it to protect my PC.
Sales departments of Antivirus companies are probably too big to answer my email :tellme:
And then my Norton installation keeps warning me of dire consequences if I fail to renew....

btw, Does anyone here own a newsreader? as in, has written and sells one?

mwb1100:
I just discovered a new program called Omea (there is a free basic version as well as the usual vastly more able pro version) that is very nice. It does both RSS and NNTP, and many more things in the pro version. It is available at http://www.jetbrains.com/ and looks very good too.
-KenR (September 17, 2006, 03:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Since December 4, 2006 Omea Pro is free (but you do have to register for a license):  http://www.jetbrains.com/omea/download/download.html

It seems that development on Omea has stopped - there was a hint that Omea Pro would be open-sourced (http://www.larkware.com/dg7/TheDailyGrind1031.aspx), but I've seen no evidence that's happening.

FWIW, I tried Omea as an NNTP and RSS reader, but didn't take to it.

imtrobin:
After trying many (years ago), XNews is realyl one of the best, although it's difficult to setup compared to others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version