ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2006

What Needs to Get Done (WNTGD)

(1/2) > >>

urlwolf:
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifehack/gtd-try-wntgd-instead.html

I think this post was very good. We try to clear out as may items as possible from our lists without considering what are the really important ones.

mouser:
yes this is a big issue that is missing from many of these systems.

brownstudy:
yes this is a big issue that is missing from many of these systems.
-mouser (September 17, 2006, 01:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think Forster or Allen would say that their systems will help you get the stuff done that you want to get done, but the person implementing the system has the responsibility for monitoring and knowing if they're doing the right tasks. I think precisely because it's a big issue, that it's tackled in tons of other goal-setting books and articles.

mike

nudone:
sounds good, brownstudy.

care to share the names of the books?

brownstudy:
Well, here's a tinyurl link to Amazon, with "goal-setting" as the search term:

http://tinyurl.com/orrdc (hope that works)

I think Barbara Sher's book WISHCRAFT is cited quite often, and just Google "setting goals" and you'll see the basic SMART framework pop up all over the place. After you've read about 4 or 5 of these articles in a row, you see the same things repeated: set measurable objectives, set deadlines, make sure the goal is achievable, etc. The basic concepts become the vocabulary other writers use when writing on the same topic.

The value to me of Forster's second book is that he doesn't focus on SMART to begin with; instead, he uses methods from Robert Fritz's book THE PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE to help one create the initial vision of what you want to achieve. In Mark's latest newsletter, he does talk about the value of using measures to monitor where you are and where you're going, but it's not the focus of his second book, which I think is more about giving the reader some basic tools to get them started.

HTH -- meb

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version