ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Rename FOLDERS in hierarchy

(1/4) > >>

nkormanik:
Given:  Folders and files in some hierarchical structure.

Objective:  Rename the FOLDERS only, not the files.

Rename to XXXXX random digits.  Perhaps the number of random digits can be left to user.  But, let's say, for example, 5 random digits.

So, long folder name:  blah, blah, blah, blah.....

Change to:  39279  (for instance)

Do this for each and every folder in the entire hierarchy, including the base folder.

Program can be used from context menu, or drag-and-drop, or command line, or other.

Why this program??

To deal with long path length issues.  Major headache when, say, unarchived paths exceed 255 characters.  Good grief.  Just horrible.

Idea is to easily deal with extra long paths by changing folder names to short sets of random digits.

Thanks much!

Nicholas Kormanik

KodeZwerg:
You want a tool that rename every folder in a base-folder to any random 5 digit number?
c:\test\
 \i am a sub-folder\ -> \12345\
 \another sub\ -> \54321\
etc... ?

publicdomain:
Do this for each and every folder in the entire hierarchy, including the base folder.

Program can be used from context menu, or drag-and-drop, or command line, or other.
-nkormanik (February 17, 2023, 12:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Nick! Coding it as a handy Explorer context menu with configurable digits :Thmbsup:

https://github.com/publicdomain/rename-hierarchy

Cheers!

KodeZwerg:
Here is my contribution, if I understand the things correct...
Extract archive into any folder.
Run it once with Admin rights (if you are on an Administrator Account it is not needed)
Press [Install]
If you not want it anymore, do same step as above but press [Uninstall] and delete the .exe.

My .exe inside need no runtime files beside a working 64bit Windows OS.

No UI or configurable stuff, it just do what I understand it should do, it rename folders  :D

From now on you have a small Context menu entry called "KZ - Rename Folder Tool"
Executed on any Folder, it will rename all folders inside to 5 digit numbers.

I hope it fit your needs, enjoy  :-*

nkormanik:
As always you folks are amazing.  So glad I asked....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version