ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Twitter harakiri‘d. All was gone.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tuxman:
Mastodon has an entirely different target audience (and technology) than Twitter. Just because it looks similar, it isn't similar. Too many people think otherwise.
Twitter has a special place in my heart. After all, my Twitter handle is (as my artist name) a part of my passport... :)

app103:
I was never interested in social media, but
-rjbull (January 22, 2023, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

But you are here, on this forum, which is an older form of social media.  8)

Tuxman:
... and a better form because there is no character limit (except the database server hard disk limit, of course).

wraith808:
Mastodon has an entirely different target audience (and technology) than Twitter. Just because it looks similar, it isn't similar. Too many people think otherwise.
Twitter has a special place in my heart. After all, my Twitter handle is (as my artist name) a part of my passport... :)
-Tuxman (January 22, 2023, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
Why do you think it's not similar?

Tuxman:
Twitter is centralized, made for easy access (get an account and post stuff). ActivityPub, including Mastodon, is more complicated, both during signup and during actual usage, especially since you can find everyone on Twitter, but not all ActivityPub instances talk to each other.

I registered on Mastodon when still virtually nobody except a few IT nerds was there. It’s quite good for IT rants. Sadly, the wave of Twitter users tries to turn it into just another political network. Ugh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version