ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wireless Networks and Proxy Servers

<< < (2/2)

Wordzilla:
Carol,

I think you might find PrinterAnywhere of some help to share your printer over the Internet without causing yourself troubles, and it's free.  :)

http://www.printeranywhere.com/

Also I've been using Foldershare (a Microsoft service) to share my files with friends on the internet, and it's very convenient and reliable, IMHO.

http://www.foldershare.com/

- Anderson

Carol Haynes:
Thanks for the suggestions - trouble with using the internet for file sharing is speed really. Ideally it would be good to access the local wireless network. At the moment it finds the router and I can connect to the internet but becase the laptop isn't set up as part of the local workgroup it can't see local network resources.

Wordzilla:
At the moment it finds the router and I can connect to the internet but becase the laptop isn't set up as part of the local workgroup it can't see local network resources.
-Carol Haynes (September 17, 2006, 05:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

How about just creating an FTP access for her (an easy solution with IIS), so every time she needs to access network resources, just double-click a URL shortcut on the desktop which goes to "ftp://192.168.0.2" (if static ip) or "ftp://carol"

It'd might turn out to be very tricky if u really want her to access your file shares w/o being in the same domain.

- Anderson

tsaint:
Thanks for the suggestions - trouble with using the internet for file sharing is speed really. Ideally it would be good to access the local wireless network. At the moment it finds the router and I can connect to the internet but becase the laptop isn't set up as part of the local workgroup it can't see local network resources.
-Carol Haynes (September 17, 2006, 05:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
I log onto a domain at school. At home, I still get the same logon dialog, which I fill in as for school and I don't try to join any workgroup. Once I did run a wizard (set up for home networking?) which enabled me to see the other 2 computers at home and it didn't affect me vis a vis the domain logging on. My wife's laptop, and my old desktop, both belong to the same workgroup. They can all see each other and share files through the wireless network. The 2 workgroup ones see each other "easier" than my laptop does... I don't trust the laptop to communicate 100% of the time. Don't ask why - I'm a bit like an idiot savant in this area in that I just do stuff and it works, but I'm a bloody idiot knowledge wise. Sorry I can't be helpful.

Carol Haynes:
Actually I have found it is quite easy ...

Just share the folders on the PC and laptop using Windows XP simple file sharing and then add them as network shares or network places. The printers work fine so long as you specify the network address for the printer explicitly (doesn't seem to find them automatically). Limiting the Wireless network to a protected status (WEP or WPA) and specified MAC addresses makes it reasonably secire (esp. if you live in the middle of nowhere like me).

PrinterAnywhere works great - though obviously print quality for graphics is lo res for speed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version