ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Stand alone bookmarks toolbar

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sheer Novelty:
no need to reinvent the bridge

IDEA: Stand alone bookmarks toolbar

app103:
Here is the link for Bookmark Bridge:

http://bookmarkbridge.sourceforge.net/

From what I can see, that isn't anything like what I wanted. That seems to be a syncronyzing tool. It doesn't add any additional toolbars to any browser, and doesn't act as a substitute for the toolbars.

The idea that you can only have a single toolbar in any browser to hold your bookmarks has irritated me with just about every browser I have ever used. Why can't you have more than 1 for that purpose? Am I the only person that hates when the bookmarks toolbar gets overloaded and you get the button at the end of the row rather than the ability to have a second row?

I put folders on mine in order to have the ability to pack more on there. But there are only so many folders you can add before you run out of space in that single row, any way.

I figured a stand alone set of nice, pretty, slim rows of stuff (that open in whatever the default browser is) would take care of the problem, no matter what browser I choose to use.

wraith808:
What does this point

* allow the addition of multiple rows with more folders.

mean?

skrommel:
 :) I started coding this tool last night, but then I remembered that Explorer can do this too!

Just create a shortcut to your favorites folder on the desktop, and drag the icon to one of the screen's edges. When you drop it, it creates a toolbar!

Now rightclick it's handle, and select Always on top. To make it more usable, detach it from the edge by dragging it's handle and dropping it somewhere in the middle of the screen. Then resize it to make it as small as possible to make the folders in your favorites work properly.

Now you have a tiny, floating, always on top favorites toolbar that you can move where you like, edit and update at will.

Skrommel

app103:
Yes, I know about that, and normally I have a giant toolbar just like my giant taskbar, full of program shortcuts and other stuff. I don't think I could handle a 3rd one.  :-[

Plus it doesn't have the same behavior I am looking for with folders on it. When you click a folder, it will open those folders in explorer rather than giving you a menu to the contents of that folder, unless you set it up to show only the title of the root folder on the toolbar and slide it so nothing that is on the toolbar shows, except the title. (I used to do this with 'desktop' toolbar and could access entire contents of my pc through the 'my computer' menu, if I felt like navigating through the menu maze)

What I would really love is the look & feel of a set of browser toolbars, independent of any browser, that will mimic the behavior found in the bookmarks toolbar but give you a lot more freedom and allow additional rows.

To be totally honest, I think my real wish is that browser developers would just get with it and allow users to have more bookmarks toolbars, and I think any other solution would be just attempting to pacify my cries for that, but never quite hitting the mark.

Maybe some day I will create a deskbar/IE toolbar that will do exactly what I am thinking, and at least give IE users the additional rows, that in my opinion should have already been possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version