topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2023 Release: IPMI Tool GUI  (Read 2518 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2023 Release: IPMI Tool GUI
« on: January 01, 2023, 02:05 PM »
NANY 2023 Entry Information

Application Name IPMI Tool GUI
Version 1.0.0
Short Description IPMI GUI app with multiple system support.
Supported OSes Windows 10. Probably works, but not tested, on Windows XP/Vista/7/8/11.
Web Page Website
Download Link Download
System RequirementsA computer with network access and a server/workstation that has a BMC which speaks the IPMI protocol.
Version HistoryChangelog
Author Jody Holmes (Skwire Empire)

Description
BMCs and the IPMI Protocol: Baseboard Management Controllers (BMCs) are a type of embedded computer used to provide out-of-band monitoring for desktops and servers. These products are sold under many brand names, including HP iLO, Dell DRAC, Sun ILOM, Fujitsu iRMC, IBM IMM, and Supermicro IPMI. Nearly all servers and workstations ship with or support some form of BMC.  Interface (IPMI) is a collection of specifications that define communication protocols for talking to these BMCs. This specification is managed by Intel and currently comes in two flavors, version 1.5 and version 2.0.

I run/manage/access many of these types of servers and, for years, have used the some form of the CLI program ipmitool.exe to monitor alarms, get data, and modify settings.  For DonationCoder's NANY 2023 promotion, I decided to start writing a simple GUI interface for the CLI ipmitool.exe.  Of course, there are existing GUI programs for this purpose, but this one is mine.  If you do not have access to a server/workstation with a BMC that uses the IPMI protocol, this program will be of no use to you.

Features
  • You can learn more about BMCs and the IPMI protocol here.
  • This first release of IPMI Tool simply queries the sensors of the BMC, typically the temperatures, fan speeds, and voltage.  I plan to add more functionality to this program as I make time: event logs, network display and control, fan control, user control, and more.
  • This first release stores passwords in plaintext in the hosts.ini file.  I will remedy this in a future release.  If you have concerns about this, please don't use the program.

Planned Features
  • Export options
  • Event logs display
  • Network display and control
  • Fan control
  • User display and control

Screenshots
2023-01-01_132542.pngNANY 2023 Release: IPMI Tool GUI 2023-01-01_132630.pngNANY 2023 Release: IPMI Tool GUI

Usage
Installation
Download the zip file and extract its contents into a new folder.  Run IPMIToolGUI.exe.

Uninstallation
Exit the application and delete the folder you unzipped it to.  No changes are made to the registry.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 08:02 PM by skwire »

GrumpyCoder

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • https://grumpycoder.win/
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2023 Release: IPMI Tool GUI
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 09:43 PM »
While this tool is definitely not for me since I don't have access to anything using BMC. I must say, as a developer, I do admire the clean UI.
It feels like a rarity these days, with many developers using over-the-top and busy designs.  :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2023 Release: IPMI Tool GUI
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 05:43 AM »
Looks like I'm a bit late to the party...

Can (or does) this get the status of the RAID array and drives on a Dell (or other brand) server?