topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Internet Timer  (Read 7892 times)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Internet Timer
« on: October 31, 2022, 11:31 AM »
I have a particular Windows computer that I want to put on a schedule for its internet access.  I want it to turn off every day at a particular time and turn on every day at a particular time.

Can anyone recommend me a free program for this that I can install on that machine?

Parental Controls sound like an option, but I don't want to sign up for anything, and I only use domain/local accounts - no microsoft accounts for computer logins.

Maybe there's some setting on my linux CentOS dhcp server that I could add for that particular mac address?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 02:18 PM by BGM »

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
Re: Internet Timer
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 04:15 PM »
Here's a simple solution:
https://crystalrich.com/internetoff/

It's not quite what I had in mind.  This one is meant for the person who wants to disable their own internet - not for the person who wants to disable someone else's, such as a family internet or parental control.  All it does is disable the network adapter.

Anyone?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 09:42 PM by BGM »

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 05:20 PM »
You want to remote turn someones internet (dsl/wifi) off?

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 07:58 PM »
Not the wifi -the LAN ethernet connection just for particular computers.  I want to set a schedule for the internet so it turns on in the morning at a certain time and turns off in the evening at a certain time.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 10:32 PM »
Most modem/router devices provided by your ISP come with a web-interface, where you can create all kinds of configurations, including scheduling the hours/days where internet is allowed and when it isn't.

The interface to such settings varies a lot per device and ISP, but more often than not it is there. Most ISP's do not block you from adjusting any settings inside their modem/router device. But I encountered the first ISP in 25 years of internet experience who does block those settings, so your mileage could vary too.

If you have a generous ISP, their device could consist of a modem/router/switch. There may even be settings for creating virtual LANs, specific Ethernet ports to disable/enable on separate schedules, etc.  Don't count on that though, ISPs provide usually the cheapest/simplest device they think they can get away with.

You could introduce a managed switch between the ISP device and the rest of your network. Then you'll definitely have all what you ask for and more. I'm of the opinion that scheduled network access should be managed on the router or managed switch. More reliable and, if properly secured, practically impenetrable.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 04:22 PM »
Thanks, Shades for answering.  I was trying to get around buying anything.  I realize I could stick a switch or router between that computer and the network, but that was my last resort.  I was hoping more for some super-admin program I could install on the machine.

My query was more for known free software.

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 02:43 PM »
The only other thing that could work would be to use your found app (theres an automated function included like i saw on screenshot) and let that app run per task sheduler on every system ...

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 07:10 PM »
Use a powershell to set the Internet proxy to a nonexistent black hole. Eg, use Psexec (or Paexec) to remotely run a command like netsh winhttp set proxy 127.0.0.1:8080. Set it up as a scheduled task.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 11:32 AM »
Ah, I actually got the user to promise.  That's the best solution, anyway!  People will surprise you sometimes - just gotta keep hoping for them.

sphere

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2022, 05:08 PM »
Ah, I actually got the user to promise.  That's the best solution, anyway!  People will surprise you sometimes - just gotta keep hoping for them.
Well that does work.   I was going to suggest a router/swtich with its power plugged into a light timer set to the times you want :D