ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firewall Tester

<< < (2/2)

Shades:
I don't think cstatus is going to work for me.  I have many servers where PING is not enabled and have to use the telnet command to see if the port is open. 
-rsteward (September 27, 2022, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

nmap is great at what it does, but Windows quite often flags it as malware. Or at least a piece of software the user needs protection from (according to Microsoft). When you get it from the creator's website, it is a false positive.

On a general note: in your network you have telnet enabled, yet ICMP (ping) disabled? Telnet is kinda infamous for being unsafe, in (much) more ways than the ICMP protocol is.

nickodemos:
https://www.grc.com/shieldsup

x16wda:
TCPing should work. I have found it very useful.

Simplest form: tcping.exe host port

Numerous options are available. I use this a lot to just check a port quickly.

Stoic Joker:
On a general note: in your network you have telnet enabled, yet ICMP (ping) disabled? Telnet is kinda infamous for being unsafe, in (much) more ways than the ICMP protocol is.
-Shades (September 27, 2022, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

They're probably just using the telnet client for diagnostic purposes (I do quite frequently as well) and not the server. Since they're separate components, there's no risk to having just the client installed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version