ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firewall Tester

(1/2) > >>

rsteward:
I'm looking for a windows application that i can list out IP address and Port to see if the Firewall is open or not. 

Occasionally my company audits FW rules and removes ones they deem unnecessary.  I'd like to have an app i could put all the servers:port i access and allow me to quickly check what is available and what access is broken.

Currently i'm using "telnet <hostname/ip> <port>" but was looking for a better streamlined approach.

Any suggestions?

Shades:
For your purposes, 'cstatus' from a fellow DC member could fit the bill. On first glance it doesn't look like it, because the initial interface is for checking how fast (or available) your DNS servers are. But if you look a bit further, you'll see there are more tools included inside this one, including an IP check tool. When you open that section, you will see that it can check which IP addresses are available in a given range, but you can also check if ports are open on the machines that have an IP address inside the selected range.

rsteward:
That looks good, i'll give it a shot.

rsteward:
I don't think cstatus is going to work for me.  I have many servers where PING is not enabled and have to use the telnet command to see if the port is open. 

For your purposes, 'cstatus' from a fellow DC member could fit the bill. On first glance it doesn't look like it, because the initial interface is for checking how fast (or available) your DNS servers are. But if you look a bit further, you'll see there are more tools included inside this one, including an IP check tool. When you open that section, you will see that it can check which IP addresses are available in a given range, but you can also check if ports are open on the machines that have an IP address inside the selected range.
-Shades (September 26, 2022, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

skwire:
I don't think cstatus is going to work for me.  I have many servers where PING is not enabled and have to use the telnet command to see if the port is open. -rsteward (September 27, 2022, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Checking ports has nothing to do with ping.  As Shades mentioned, in the cStatus program, choose Tools > IP Scanner from the menu and use that to check for open ports.  Check out the third screenshot on this page: https://www.hnsoft.pt/Screenshots_cstatus

Additionally, the de facto network scanning tool is nmap.  It's a commandline program that's available on just about any platform, but you can use the Zenmap GUI if a GUI suits you better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version