ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

I wish I could punch the idiots that made TheBat!

<< < (3/4) > >>

f0dder:
but I'm not a fan of spam. One way to avoid spam is to never download the images sent in spam, as they're supposidly tracked (if the image "149874345232.jpg" is downloaded then "[email protected]" is a valid e-mail).

--- End quote ---
I've disabled html formatted mails and images, so that won't bite me... but it could be annoying if you rely on html mails.

Bug sucks anyway, sorry that you lost your messages :/

mouser:
this might be a good general lesson:
Whenever a program/website/hard disk/registry offers to "automatically fix" a problem, a HUGE FLASHING WARNING light should go off in your brain.  These autorepair features are very often causing more harm than they fix.  Better to 100% fully investigate and backup your stuff before you proceed.

(this is of course in on way meant to excuse thebat; losing emails is unacceptable for an email client, there is just no way around it).

Hirudin:
Welp, I just went through all the files I was able to recover... no dice...

Thanks for the help y'all...

Carol Haynes:
but I'm not a fan of spam. One way to avoid spam is to never download the images sent in spam, as they're supposidly tracked (if the image "149874345232.jpg" is downloaded then "[email protected]" is a valid e-mail).

--- End quote ---
I've disabled html formatted mails and images, so that won't bite me... but it could be annoying if you rely on html mails.

Bug sucks anyway, sorry that you lost your messages :/

-f0dder (September 14, 2006, 06:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am a big fan of Firetrust Benign for that reason. It sits between the internet and the mail client and filters out web bugs such as 1 pixel images with call home links etc.  You can fully customise what you let through the filtering system.

My only gripe is that it doesn't store a copy of the original pre-processed mail but you can always use the 'leave a copy on the server for n days' to be able to retrieve something that is trashed beyond readability.

I also use Yahoo mail (my ISP proveds a full account for that) which has a useful feature in its spam filtering - if a message is in the junk folder you can opt to preview it without images. I have this set a as permanent setting so that if I check via the web page and I am not sure if an email is spam I copy it to the Junk folder and open it there and then move it back to the inbox. If it is spam I report it as spam without opening it in the inbox at all.

urlwolf:
http://home.dataparty.no/kristian/reviews/nextgen-mua/
Here is a good comparison of email programs. I really think M2 has features not found in any other app.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version