ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

I wish I could punch the idiots that made TheBat!

<< < (2/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Surely any software that writes to a disk should check to see if the disk has space and not destroy your data if there is no space left. That isn't exactly 'catering for any eventuality' but in many cases an inevitability!

I just filled a partition where my music collection was stored but iTunes didn't collapse under the pressure when it tried to download a podcast that wouldn't fit. My library was left in tact and the podcast was left to wait until I had some space to put it - which seems sensible behaviour.

Sorry to hear about your loss Hirudin - but can I tactfully suggest reglar backups of important data  :-[

mouser:
Surely any software that writes to a disk should check to see if the disk has space and not destroy your data if there is no space left. That isn't exactly 'catering for any eventuality' but in many cases an inevitability!
--- End quote ---

I agree with carol here, an email program is like a security program - it MUST plan for just situations as inevitabilities and insure no loss of email.

However i believe i have had this disk full situation happen to me and thebat not only handled it properly but knew not to consider mail it tried to retrieve and store as retrieved from the server (i think i'm remembering this correctly).

So i wonder if hirudin is sure about the cause of the corruption?  I've never lost a single email to thebat in 8 years or so and i consider this one of my #1 reasons for continuing to use it.

Have you checked the folders on your disk where the email account data is stored and done a file contents search for the emails that have gone missing - maybe they got misfiled somehow (or else check recycle bin etc.).

I feel for your loss Hirudin - if that happened to me i would be well beyond furious - i would be in a full blown shouting and throwing things rage for days.

f0dder:
Carol, that scenario doesn't necessarily test the robustness of iTunes... I'd guess it stores a database of your music collection somewhere, probably in %USERPROFILE% somewhere. You'd have to fill up *that* partition and try again :)

That said, programs really ought to save files "safely". Using a decent ACID database, or "save-to-tempfile-then-rename-tempfile-when-saved-properly" scheme, so a failed save will not destroy the old saved file (something that's not in fSekrit yet, but is a high priority for v1.3).

Carol Haynes:
Actually by default iTunes stores two copies of its library data in the My Documents\My Music\iTunes folder (along with the MP3 files etc.) - one in an internal format and the other in XML format. If one is damaged the other is automatically rebuilt. It did respond to the disk filling up in an appropriate way - it even gave a warning.

Hirudin:
I tried the Ctrl + Shift + E thing, it solves the problem, but makes TB a lot less useful. The problem isn't selecting e-mail (Ctrl+A will select all the e-mails, but hitting delete will not work. Message > Delete from the toolbar also stays greyed out. Only after actually *clicking* an e-mail will you be able to delete anything. I'm not terribly paranoid about viruses, but I'm not a fan of spam. One way to avoid spam is to never download the images sent in spam, as they're supposidly tracked (if the image "149874345232.jpg" is downloaded then "[email protected]" is a valid e-mail).

I chose to encrypt my e-mail during the install, so I don't think searching my HDD is going to help... :( I really should try to do a file recovery, I shouldn't have to though... It's going to be really fun sorting through folders with names like "59BE1E79.0FD".

To me, the problem is two-fold. 1. It didn't alert me when my hard drive was too full (or I somehow missed it the error, which I'm willing to admit is possible). and 2. The "fix" caused more/worse problems. At the very least I had the titles of the messages, even if I couldn't open them I'd have some idea of what was there. Now I have a blank space looking back at me. It's just like... There, we've "fixed" your e-mail... by deleting it all! See, no errors; you're welcome. Maybe in 5 more months we'll release an update to fix this bug...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version