ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best E-mail Client

I wish I could punch the idiots that made TheBat!

(1/4) > >>

Hirudin:
Sorry to start a topic like this after not coming here for so long, but I just lost ~350 messages because aparrently TheBat! doesn't take into account the possibility that maybe, possibly, sometime ever someone's hard drive/partition will ever fill up!!!

Here's what happened, I noticed my D drive was full. I couldn't figure out why though... I hadn't received any messages saying that something couldn't be saved or anything like that... All the pictures I had saved recently seemed to work, I couldn't figure it out...

So later tonight I checked my mail. TheCrap! downloaded my new messages, but when I clicked the Inbox it said some BS about the mailbox being broken and would I like to repair it... knowing that "repairing" stuff usually means "making it worse" so I said "No". But just as a test, I clicked off the inbox then back on the inbox, and there's the message again: "would I like to fix such and such?". Realizing that from now on, I'd get that STUPID message every time I clicked the inbox; I might as well let it do whatever it is so convinced it needs to do.

Well the "repair" process took all of 2 seconds. I saw on the bottom right that ~350 messages had been repaired. I thought "great! it only took 2 seconds, it couldn't have done something completely moronic in that amount of time"... but I was wrong. My inbox is now empty. The trash can is empty. There are no new folders that I can see. They're just gone. THANKS A F@#KING LOT RITLABS!

I've been regretting buying this stupid program from the beginning... it's my own fault though; I used the full trial period without noticing all the idiot-syncricities ritlabs programmem into this POS.

For instance, when you download your mail you MUST click on at least one in order to delete anything. So, if you get 10 messages, and they all have viruses, you would HAVE to click on (AKA open) at least one virus laiden message in order to delete the rest.

Here's another, it treats the "Trash" folder the same as every other folder, including confirming every time you choose to empty it. What's wrong with this? Well, it makes it rutine to click the "OK" button the instant the confirmation dialog pops up. I'm glad I never accidently selected to empty my sent mail folder instead of the trash, because I'm sure I would have clicked the confirmation instantly just like I have hundreds of times EVERY TIME I wanted to empty my trash...

Anyway, screw TheBat! ! Screw RITLABS!

Oh yeah, I don't know what they're doing over there, but I only know of one (1) update to TheBat since I bought it about a year and a half ago...

kimmchii:
i am sorry to hear that. have you scanned the partition with an undelete program? you might be able to recover the mails.

Jibz:
Sorry to hear you lost your messages :(.

For instance, when you download your mail you MUST click on at least one in order to delete anything. So, if you get 10 messages, and they all have viruses, you would HAVE to click on (AKA open) at least one virus laiden message in order to delete the rest.-Hirudin
--- End quote ---

That's because Message Auto-view is turned on. You can turn that off in the View menu, or with Shift-Ctrl-E. After all, it's hard to delete something without selecting what to delete.

f0dder:
Nasty :/

It's one of those bugs that usually won't be found and fixed before something like this happens, though >_<

For instance, when you download your mail you MUST click on at least one in order to delete anything. So, if you get 10 messages, and they all have viruses, you would HAVE to click on (AKA open) at least one virus laiden message in order to delete the rest.

--- End quote ---

To be fair, TheBat isn't vulnerable. Even if you have HTML mails turned on, since it uses it's own HTML rendering engine.

allen:
That really sucks, man -- and I'm really sorry to hear it happened.

That said, and with no offense intended, why are the developers more responsible for being prepared for an over-full disk on your machine than you?  One could argue they should prepare for every possible scenerio -- but, honestly, who can truly live up to that?  One could argue they should have considered the possibility of a filled hard drive -- but the same could be argued for you :)

Again, I don't mean any offense toward you -- but with years of experience with it under my belt, I believe TB! to be a solid e-mail client that goes well above and beyond other clients on the market in terms of features, usability and security.

Where security is concerned, if you're really paranoid you could (a) disable autopreview and (b) disable rich text (view as text only) -- would would eliminate virtually any possible threat that may be posed by simply clicking an e-mail.  But even with both those features enabled, you're not really in harms way.  Unlike many other clients, TB does -not- render using IE's engine, it uses its own built in html viewer which is quite simple/rudimentary and incapable of executing any sort of malicious code.  To inflict your system with a virus, you'd need not only open the message--you'd have to open the attachment and then override the standard popup warning TB issues any time you try to open an attachment rather than save it.

That out of the way, again I'm sorry this happened -- I can imagine the trauma of it, as I've lost considerable mail bases myself in the past.  Maybe with or without a hard drive scaper the messages can be restored somehow -- one can hope, anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version