ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The End of the Atom Editor

(1/2) > >>

wraith808:
I tried it back in the day, but didn't find anything better than Sublime Text... then I started using VS Code, and it was better than both. I guess a lot of people had similar experiences.

Today GitHub announced it will archive Atom and all projects under the Atom organization for an official sunset on December 15, 2022.

Did anyone else use Atom?

Ath:
Did anyone else use Atom?
-wraith808 (June 08, 2022, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nope, tried it once, a couple of years ago, and couldn't get along with it very well, so stayed at Notepad++, until someone showed me the benefits of VSCode, and I've been kind of an addict for that ever since :tellme: (though I also use NPP for some tasks).

Deozaan:
I think I tried Atom around the time that VS Code was first announced because I heard VS Code was based on Atom. But it didn't stick.

I still use Notepad++ most of the time for general non-code text, but I've started using VS Code more often for viewing and editing code-related files.

Oh, and it just occurred to me that Microsoft bought GitHub a while back, so I guess it would make sense that they'd kill Atom in favor of VS Code.

BGM:
For me, it's Notepad++ for projects and Notepad3 for one-off views.
I've always loved trying out text editors.  I liked PSpad and ProgrammersNotepad2. 
I have a copy of Visual Studio 2019, so I don't much need VSCode, although I have both installed.  The only time I use Visual Studio is if I have to compile anything.  If it's just scripts (powershell, or editing html) I use Notepad++.

I've never used Atom.

wraith808:
Oh, and it just occurred to me that Microsoft bought GitHub a while back, so I guess it would make sense that they'd kill Atom in favor of VS Code.
-Deozaan (June 09, 2022, 03:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

In this case, I don't think it's in favor of. Atom stopped getting updates before that deal IIRC.

I use N++ for ad hoc editing, VS Code for projects that I don't want to open VS2019 for, and for non-project stuff, like writing, note taking, and web sites and such, and VS2019 for project related stuff that compiles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version