ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can i install USB 3.0 on a Dual Core PC?

<< < (2/2)

MilesAhead:
All I can find for specs is the Windows 7 forum hardware profile.  The USB 3.0 card and docking stations were SIIG.  Here's the specs from my profile if it helps any:

System Spec
Computer Manufacturer/Model Number:
HP Media Center
Windows 7 32 bit
CPU:
AMD 5200+ dual core
Memory:
2 GB
Graphics Card(s):
NVidia GeForce 6150SE 128 MB
Monitor(s) Displays:
CRT
Screen Resolution:
1280x1024
Hard Drives:
500 GB Sata internal :

SIIG USB 3.0 docking stations w/WD Caviar Black 6 Gb/s drives
Keyboard:
PS/2
Mouse:
PS/2 Wheel Mouse
Other Info:
SIIG USB 3.0 PCIexpress card (2 ports.)

hulkbuster:
Thank you guys, for the past few days i was out of station on a personal work and i had to catch my flight (it was my first flight) so i couldn't reply promptly.
But now that i am back i read through every suggestion. Honestly thank you for ur time but i think i agree with MilesAhead.
These are all specifications that the manufacturers of your motherboard and CPU provide on their web-pages.
-Shades (June 16, 2022, 01:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
The motherboard website doesn't mention anything about supporting USB 3.0
and i also agree dual processor can support USB 3.0 but it also needs to be mentioned in the motherboard's website.
Which i couldn't find. I also saw there was only 1 person who bothered to download the info. on my motherboard.
So i'll take the cue and understand it doesn't support USB 3.0
Since i have already tried 100 times to install the card.

But it wouldn't boot to XP or 7 desktop on a dual boot.

Shades:
But it wouldn't boot to XP or 7 desktop on a dual boot.
-hulkbuster (June 19, 2022, 04:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Somewhere in your hardware specification report I saw that there was only support for the PCIe 1.0 standard. I suspect that your USB 3.0 card is a card that needs PCIe 2.0 (or better).

Before the operating system is started on any computer, there is another (much more basic) system that checks if all the hardware in your computer is registered properly and responds as this system expects it to. Putting more/extra hardware in a computer, which is not registered or tested properly, (in the best case scenario)  will slow down your computer before and possibly after the operating system has started. But, more often than not, the extra hardware prevents that basic system to complete all checks and test and your computer won't boot into anything.

Worst case, you actually fry your motherboard, the extra hardware or both.

From your post I understand that the extra hardware simply blocks that basic system to do its checks and that you stops it from booting any of the operating systems. So, try to flip the USB card to recuperate some of the costs and put that money towards buying a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. You can keep the rest of your hardware...although I would spend also money on a new and proper power supply (Corsair, EVGA, Silverstone are brands that have very decent power supplies). Doesn't have to be a 'heavy duty'-one, if you do not have lots of hard drives or discrete video card.

AMD and Intel provide CPU's which have a video card built into them and those will "steal" from the system memory to provide you with video. Older generations of such CPU's are fine for most intents and purposes, except for gaming, CAD and video editing. However, AMD appears to be making headway with that type of CPU in their latest generation that will come out this year and you will be able to play modern AAA game titles at a reasonable resolution in medium settings, not the lowest resolution in low settings as is currently the case.

MilesAhead:
After inserting the Quantum Zero USB 3.0 in the PCI slot the Win xp wont boot to desktop.
-hulkbuster (June 15, 2022, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I suspect Shades is right.  One thing you might try if the card is current generation, the manufacturer might have a community forum.  If so it might be worth asking there if there are any updated drivers or settings/tricks that will allow it to work.  At least they may have a detailed list of required hardware for it.

Edit:  Also it may be worth running Speccy to get your hardware details.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version