ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Operating multiple devices - easy solution for cables?

<< < (3/4) > >>

kalos:
Thanks RDP is a good option but not adequately mature (I am experiencing issues/inefficiencies).

Is it possible to enable my personal laptop receive/send signals (video, sound, keyboard, touchpad) from e.g. four other laptops?

The KVM switches I have been able to find, only accept a keyboard or screen to output the source signals which is something I do not want. I need to consolidate all the laptops into one device but this device has to be laptop or at least a screen and a keyboard/touchpad that can form a laptop-like device (similar to MS Surface convertibles etc).

BGM:
What about something like Synergy?  It's one of those programs you install on multiple computers to be able to use a single mouse and keyboard with them.  That could solve part of the problem, maybe.

4wd:
Thanks RDP is a good option but not adequately mature (I am experiencing issues/inefficiencies).-kalos (June 11, 2022, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's almost funny, it's probably older than you.

It was good enough for me to edit videos from half way around the world ten years ago when nothing else would work, something I'm currently also doing this time except using RDP on a tablet but whatever ...

EDIT: I have 4 computers on my desk at home, RDP to another Windows PC, and VNC to two Linux PC's - just occurred to me since it always works and I've come to take it for granted.

@BGM, IIRC Synergy requires a monitor for each system also ... as usual it takes awhile to find out he only wants one screen.

superboyac:
there is no good solution, sorry.  This is one of those things I find a lot of people to have unreasonable expectations about.  All those people that have super clean wiring inside their pc cases, and also no wires showing on their desk....these are impractical if you are going to be moving things around often.  It's also impractical considering a lot of these people just literally don't use wires so they achieve the clean look.  The point is, I think there is no good solution to your situation and you just have to deal with manual wire management.

In my case, since I am not OCD about the wires...I have basically a wire puddle in a convenient discrete location.  Usually the corners of my room. 

cranioscopical:
Overhead cables depending from the ceiling; the only drawback being the risk of inadvertent strangulation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version