topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Operating multiple devices - easy solution for cables?  (Read 5557 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Operating multiple devices - easy solution for cables?
« on: June 07, 2022, 06:05 PM »
Hello

I operate on my desk several devices laptops, etc and I have to move them which result in the cables getting complexed.

Do you know any solution for this?

Thanks!

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Operating multiple devices - easy solution for cables?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 06:16 PM »
more detail required...

what do you need to uncomplexify? are you having trouble identifying cables? are they getting tangled? or summink else?

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 06:31 PM »
Thanks, basically I have to move laptops around to check each and this makes the cables getting tangled :/

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 07:41 PM »
Even though we are talking about laptops, which by definition are moveable, you should not move them unless you absolutely have to. Ergonomics is a very good reason, and it avoids cable entanglement.

I assume every laptop you move only uses 1 screen? Any KVM switch that supports HDMI and a extra screen might be helpful. As most laptops have a HDMI output connector to support a second screen, you could use those outputs in combination with the the KVM switch which you connect to to the extra screen.

Whatever content you need to check on each laptop, if you move that to the second screen on each laptop, you can now easily check on the extra screen. That will reduce your need to move laptops to practically zero. However, KVM switches are not cheap and often also reduce the refresh rate of the screen output. Granted, not such a big issue, unless you have gaming laptops (with 4K screens and 120Hz refresh rate or higher). And there is a need for a separate screen, which requires desk space and solutions for that are heavily depending on your setup. Such solutions may cost a significant sum as well.

But what Target says: much more detail is needed for better answers than the generic ones you are getting till now.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 09:14 PM »
Thanks, basically I have to move laptops around to check each and this makes the cables getting tangled :/

ok, then this begs the question of why? 

not meant to be rude, it goes to understanding the issue

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 01:37 PM »
Get a U-shaped desk and a swivel chair, problem solved.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 05:06 PM »
Thanks, so I have very limited space in terms of buying new desk and my current desk is small. I put one laptop at my left, one at the back and one (the main) at the front where I am working at. There is no other space or option for furniture so I have to rotate the laptops.

I explored the KVM route but in 99.99% I need a standalone screen/keyboard/tower which I don't really want as I am used on working on a laptop-like device.
I checked these laptops that kind of have only screen and keyboard and nothing else (don't remember how they call them exactly) but I kind of abandoned it (not sure why but also security may prevent such connections).

Hence, the cheapest would be a cable solution. Rotating the laptops makes their cables twist among them. Maybe a kind of rotating multi-plug would help so that the cables don't get tangled. I suppose it would also need adapters as each laptop has their own plug :(

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 06:13 PM »
pretty sure you're not going to find some sort of 'rotating multi plug' but, how about something like a multi monitor stand?

Plenty of options around that cater for a laptop and an external monitor so it shouldn't be hard to find something like this that works for 2 laptops...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 08:42 PM by Target »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 06:33 PM »
I'm not sure how many cables you are trying to use.
There will be power cables, but laptops have a batery so all the power cables could go to one position and laptops in other positions work from their batteries.
External keyboards and mice could be wireless.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 02:05 PM »
Plenty of multi-mode keyboards and mice around, just get one of each that can connect to three devices, no need to move the laptops at all they can stay where they are and you just switch your attention to their screen and the keyboard/mouse to the relevant one.

Or just RDP from the main to the rest.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2022, 02:02 PM »
Thanks RDP is a good option but not adequately mature (I am experiencing issues/inefficiencies).

Is it possible to enable my personal laptop receive/send signals (video, sound, keyboard, touchpad) from e.g. four other laptops?

The KVM switches I have been able to find, only accept a keyboard or screen to output the source signals which is something I do not want. I need to consolidate all the laptops into one device but this device has to be laptop or at least a screen and a keyboard/touchpad that can form a laptop-like device (similar to MS Surface convertibles etc).

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 04:06 PM »
What about something like Synergy?  It's one of those programs you install on multiple computers to be able to use a single mouse and keyboard with them.  That could solve part of the problem, maybe.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2022, 04:56 PM »
Thanks RDP is a good option but not adequately mature (I am experiencing issues/inefficiencies).

That's almost funny, it's probably older than you.

It was good enough for me to edit videos from half way around the world ten years ago when nothing else would work, something I'm currently also doing this time except using RDP on a tablet but whatever ...

EDIT: I have 4 computers on my desk at home, RDP to another Windows PC, and VNC to two Linux PC's - just occurred to me since it always works and I've come to take it for granted.

@BGM, IIRC Synergy requires a monitor for each system also ... as usual it takes awhile to find out he only wants one screen.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 03:47 AM by 4wd »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2022, 05:33 PM »
there is no good solution, sorry.  This is one of those things I find a lot of people to have unreasonable expectations about.  All those people that have super clean wiring inside their pc cases, and also no wires showing on their desk....these are impractical if you are going to be moving things around often.  It's also impractical considering a lot of these people just literally don't use wires so they achieve the clean look.  The point is, I think there is no good solution to your situation and you just have to deal with manual wire management.

In my case, since I am not OCD about the wires...I have basically a wire puddle in a convenient discrete location.  Usually the corners of my room. 

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2022, 11:22 AM »
Overhead cables depending from the ceiling; the only drawback being the risk of inadvertent strangulation.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2022, 03:42 AM »
Overhead cables depending from the ceiling; the only drawback upside being the risk of inadvertent strangulation.
-cranioscopical (June 12, 2022, 11:22 AM)

FTFY 😬

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2022, 10:58 AM »
Overhead cables depending from the ceiling; the only drawback being the risk of inadvertent strangulation.
-cranioscopical (June 12, 2022, 11:22 AM)

Heh heh.  Actually not a bad idea.  Those cables that coil up like the old telephone cords could keep them out of the way when not in use.   :Thmbsup: