ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Data recovery software suggestions?

<< < (5/11) > >>

Mark0:
For recovery of images / bitmaps there's also my little free command line driven BitmapRip.
Just make an image of the HD, compactflash, SD or whatever device, and it will scan it for known signatures. Not the most sophisticated, but it's free! :) For Win and Linux.

For general file recovery, I used OnTrack's EasyRecovery various times with good results. Back2Life is another interesting one.

Bye!

tomos:
my usb stick went all funny :) on me lately

wanted to be formatted.
The only thing I had to hand was SanDisk Rescue Pro.
Well it offered to make an image file (*.img) and to recover from that.
Didnt take too long but the recovering did - I had things to do so stopped it.
Also I needed my usb stick so I formatted it -
I'm not that worried it's mostly backups on the stick but wouldnt mind getting the stuff back in case theres something I've overlooked in there...

So I'm wondering does anyone know of another option to
recover files from an image file. *.img

If not I could always run the SanDisk software overnight &
hope it doesnt need to be prompted at any stage

Renegade:
SpinRite comes highly recommended. I only use it for maintenance... Hoping that I never need to do any data recovery. :D

f0dder:
SpinRite is a big pile of marketing FUD. I can't believe how many people are fooled by marketing buzzwords, bought testimonials, and a silly textmode sine wave. Using it on a drive that's about to have a head crash can be a downright catastrophe, since it puts a lot of stress on the actuators (sp?).

It might help in some cases, but I'd never run it before doing a full image file of the drive. And it's not data recovery software anyway, all it does it trying to read/write bad sectors, which will eventually get them copied to spare sectors on the drive.

For data recovery, have a look at applications like r-studio, GetDataBack, etc... I've had good results with GetDataBack.

Mark0:
SpinRite is a big pile of marketing FUD.-f0dder (August 31, 2007, 04:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Amen to that!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version