topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: windows update alternative  (Read 6348 times)

quixos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
windows update alternative
« on: July 22, 2005, 08:17 PM »
in a nutshell, i will not update my xp machine to Service Pack 2, and have begun using this windows update alternative to download hotfixes and updates instead.

hxxp://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

downloads hotfixes and goodies to C:\WUTemp.

perfect for slipstreaming. with nlite of course. :)

couldn't make up my mind where to put this, Software in the Wild or not.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 08:20 PM by quixos »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: windows update alternative
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 08:32 PM »
this is fine place for it.

i tried updating to sp2 and it broken my microsoft visual studio installation.
i should say i'm not at all surprised that the MICROSOFT update was most incompatible with a MICROSOFT application, as that seems to be their normal modus operandi.

so i rolled back the sp2 update and just choose custom updates from the normal windows update site, and it lets me install the fixes without moving to sp2.

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 01:38 PM »
From the author of WindizUpdate:

The WindizUpdate component contains an auto-installation feature. An authentication code is required before the component will install the requested software.  However it is possible for a person to determine the algorithm being used, and so convince the component to install software from other sources.

Regardless of whether or not there are currently any security issues with this browser plugin, it is designed to autmate software download and installation, so just be aware.
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »

Massada

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 08:23 PM »
There are actually about 27 mostly critical updates to a new WinXp SP1 Install that are completed before Windows Update  will asks you to dl and install  SP2.

SP2 is notorious for knocking out illegitimate, as well as purchased but faked activations of most Microsoft products. You have to love M$ - they got big by promoting one for the office and taking one home for the home computer. It was the unwritten agreeement in the old days.... buy for the office and use their software at home at no charge.

I miss the days of having a bonafide operating system that just ran my programs instead of the convoluted, over complicated, nightmare of memory hogging code that we now have on our so called "hybrid" Windows operating systems. What a joke :p mostly on us.

I personally avoid M$ products, although they must love me for some reason  because ocassionally they give their progs on a complimentry basis for my feedback and personal use. I want to support good independent and software programers  like Ewido (for Spyware, Worms, Dialers, Trojans, Keyloggers and Hijackers). Companies that write better code - price it fairly to their customers - and actually listen to their customers' suggestions. I have a horror of M$ buying good software like Giant, and others like Norton's resource eating bloatware  buying good programs like Ghost. They (M$ - Norton and other large software companies) inevitably manage to damage well written task specific progs.