ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What slows Windows down? See for yourself....

<< < (2/5) > >>

app103:
With the exception of a few of these, none of the stuff in that list is on my P1...mostly for the very reason of it slowing the PC down much more than it already naturally is....to the point of being unusable.

Kaspersky is a good example. After installing that (my dad made me do it to test it for him) startup time was long enough for me to go cook dinner and eat it and clean up. And the system was so slow I could barely do what I had to do to disable it and uninstall it.

And a few things on that list like to add themselves (or parts of themselves) to startup when they don't need to be running in the background at all times...and they need to be neutered to stop that, or the combination will bring any system to a crawl. (ex: Quicktime & various messaging clients)

I do run some older, much lighter versions of some of the things on that list on that PC, though.

And I pretty much treat the newer faster pc the same way.

app103:
If you can avoid them, don't install an antivirus program (especially not Norton). That's not perfect advice for everyone, but if you've got an oodle of web-smarts, you should be able to spot what's bad and what's ok.
--- End quote ---

better to be safe than sorry. this is a universal fact.. haha, even experts make mistakes.. so I take this as stupid advice.
-mitzevo (September 12, 2006, 02:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

The best antivirus is common sense...upgrades available daily. But you should always have layered security, just in case one part fails for some reason.

Which is my reason for having AVG installed...in case my common sense fails.

mitzevo:
If I had a P1/P2 box I would use nix on it for sure, and stick to oss.

edit: Best security is commen sense? upgrades available every day? :P yeah what if the updates have been comprimised.. (thinking in radical phases here ;))

app103:
If I had a P1/P2 box I would use nix on it for sure, and stick to oss.
-mitzevo (September 12, 2006, 02:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's a proprietary piece of NEC9820 crap that is incapable of running anything but win9x due to the fact that there are no drivers available for some of the hardware in it for any other OS.

And replacing the hardware is more money & trouble than it's worth. For example, there is no other motherboard that will fit that case except the one that is already in it. The PCI slots in it do not work...they have never worked...they are just for show. Even the RAM it uses is proprietary!

But it serves it's purpose as backup, storage, and a bit of 9x testing....and helped me keep my sanity when my P3 died and I couldn't afford to repair/replace it.

And since it currently can have no more than 10 hours per month of internet access, it's good for getting things done without distractions of chat, games, or browsing web pages.

edit: Best security is commen sense? upgrades available every day? :P yeah what if the updates have been comprimised.. (thinking in radical phases here ;))
-mitzevo (September 12, 2006, 02:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

That would be a failure...in which case the secondary antivirus (AVG) would take over.  :P

Carol Haynes:
vmware runs a bunch of stuff on system startup, like the license service, NAT service, and some mount stuff...
-f0dder (September 12, 2006, 01:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes I know - I have VMWare workstation installed and a heck of a lot of stuff is running constantly even when you aren't using VMWare at all. Trouble is it is not at all obvious how to disable a lot of it (like networking stuff) without screwing up the installation or the rest of my system. It would be nice if you could just set serices etc. to manual and only start them when you need them. Anyone any ideas?

However I still like VMWare better than MS Virtual PC (which is now free) - but that doesn't seem to load anything at startup. Maybe I'll give MS VPC another go.

The other thing in that list that is annoying are IM clients - I dropped Miranda a while back because everytime I upgraded it forgot all my contacts and settings (which was a right royal PITA) but now I have ICQ, MSN and Yahoo loading at startup which really clobbers things. Anyone know of any other light multi-IM clients that are a bit more user friendly than Miranda?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version