ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WiFi management: Windows tool to automatically enforce a connection?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Shades:
Something much simpler to try may be the following:
Set your WiFi connection to your fastest WiFi to 'connect automatically',  and the connection to your slower WiFi to 'not connect automatically'. Windows will now not so easily switch between WiFi setups any more. Whenever the fast one is available Windows will switch automagically, yet won't switch back to your slow connection.

Reasoning behind the concept:
After all, Windows does want/need/must/desires to sent back telemetry to Microsoft servers. And it will make sure it has a connection to do just that.

brotherS:
Something much simpler to try may be the following:
Set your WiFi connection to your fastest WiFi to 'connect automatically',  and the connection to your slower WiFi to 'not connect automatically'. Windows will now not so easily switch between WiFi setups any more. Whenever the fast one is available Windows will switch automagically, yet won't switch back to your slow connection.
-Shades (March 04, 2022, 05:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I've tried that for a while, but that results in Windows being offline whenever the fast WiFi is not available, and I don't want having to manually interfere anymore. :)

skwire:
Interesting!  Yeah, that sounds like the perfect logic. I might have some time early afternoon tomorrow (US Central Time), how long should prototype testing take?-brotherS (March 04, 2022, 04:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

No need as I found a USB wireless adapter I could use for testing on my desktop PC.

* Download the attached file and extract it into its own folder somewhere.
* Run the WiFiBrute.exe file.  On startup, you should see a new icon in your tray with a yellow circle.  It should then pop up an input box to enter your preferred SSID.  This is case-sensitive and must be exact.
* After that, it will check to see which network it's on.  If it's the preferred one, the tray icon turns green, and it then checks every ten seconds to ensure it's on the preferred network (if it's available, of course).
* If the preferred network is not available, the tray icon turns read, and it tries to connect to the preferred network every ten seconds.  Once it's successful, the tray icon turns green again, and you are notified with a standard Windows 10 popup that you're back on the preferred network.
You can exit the application by right-clicking the tray icon and choosing Exit.  It's a very basic prototype right now, with minimal configurable options, so I'm curious to see if it does, indeed, work for you.  Let me know how you get on with it.

brotherS:

* Download the attached file and extract it into its own folder somewhere.
* Run the WiFiBrute.exe file.  On startup, you should see a new icon in your tray with a yellow circle.  It should then pop up an input box to enter your preferred SSID.  This is case-sensitive and must be exact.
* After that, it will check to see which network it's on.  If it's the preferred one, the tray icon turns green, and it then checks every ten seconds to ensure it's on the preferred network (if it's available, of course).
* If the preferred network is not available, the tray icon turns read, and it tries to connect to the preferred network every ten seconds.  Once it's successful, the tray icon turns green again, and you are notified with a standard Windows 10 popup that you're back on the preferred network.
You can exit the application by right-clicking the tray icon and choosing Exit.  It's a very basic prototype right now, with minimal configurable options, so I'm curious to see if it does, indeed, work for you.  Let me know how you get on with it.
-skwire (March 05, 2022, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
It works! Awesome!

I'm guessing you'll change it so that the wanted SSID doesn't have to be entered every time the .exe is run?

And may I suggest this mouse-over info:
SSID: xyz
Connection enforced: -

which will change to
Connection enforced: yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss

once it enforced a connection?

skwire:
It works! Awesome! -brotherS (March 06, 2022, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Great to hear since it was just a rough prototype.

I'm guessing you'll change it so that the wanted SSID doesn't have to be entered every time the .exe is run?-brotherS (March 06, 2022, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Indeed.  Again, this was to test functionality.

And may I suggest this mouse-over info:
Connection enforced: -

which will change to
Connection enforced: yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss

once it enforced a connection?-brotherS (March 06, 2022, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sure.  I'll have to condense it a bit, since there is a limited amount of text allowed in that particular tooltip.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version