ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WiFi management: Windows tool to automatically enforce a connection?

<< < (2/5) > >>

skwire:
Yes and yes.-brotherS (March 03, 2022, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

* Is this scenario something you can simulate or force to happen?  That is, do you have control of whether the fast network stays or goes away?
* Are you free for some prototype testing tomorrow?  I'm on Central Time in the U.S.

BGM:
Maybe try this?  I've used this a lot on a laptop where I constantly had to change network settings.
https://www.netsetman.com/en/freeware

* Free
* Tray Icon
* Switch between network adapters
* Switch between networks
* Wifi Management is even a new feature
Features List

brotherS:
Yes and yes.-brotherS (March 03, 2022, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

* Is this scenario something you can simulate or force to happen?  That is, do you have control of whether the fast network stays or goes away?
* Are you free for some prototype testing tomorrow?  I'm on Central Time in the U.S.-skwire (March 03, 2022, 06:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
I have control over the network but currently have very little time (I really appreciate your offer!), and there might be a deeper issue... see below.

Maybe try this?  I've used this a lot on a laptop where I constantly had to change network settings.

* Free
* Tray Icon
* Switch between network adapters
* Switch between networks
* Wifi Management is even a new feature
Features List
-BGM (March 03, 2022, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thank you, never heard of it. I've set it up and saw something weird in NetSetMan's AutoSwitch tab: while the fast SSID was available again - I could connect to it on my phone - NetSetMan didn't see it (while checking every 10 seconds), and thus failed to connect. After a few minutes, I checked the WiFi connections in Windows, and only then did the fast SSID show up there, and in NetSetMan.

Is there a way to make Windows check for available networks more frequently? I didn't see a related Windows option and Google didn't offer anything useful.

skwire:
Thank you, never heard of it. I've set it up and saw something weird in NetSetMan's AutoSwitch tab: while the fast SSID was available again - I could connect to it on my phone - NetSetMan didn't see it (while checking every 10 seconds), and thus failed to connect. After a few minutes, I checked the WiFi connections in Windows, and only then did the fast SSID show up there, and in NetSetMan.

Is there a way to make Windows check for available networks more frequently? I didn't see a related Windows option and Google didn't offer anything useful.
-brotherS (March 04, 2022, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Based on my tests yesterday, I saw the same behaviour.  That said, you can still connect to a non-visible network, via netsh, so long as you know the name.  Here's my logic flow for a prototype:

1. Program starts up knowing the preferred/fast network name.
2. Program checks what network it's currently on.
    2a. If not the preferred network, set tray icon to red/slow, and attempt to connect to it every n number of seconds/minutes.
    2b. If on the preferred network, set tray icon to green/fast, and check every n number of seconds/minutes to ensure we're still on the preferred network.  If not, go back to 2.

It's a bit of brute method, but it's not resource intensive and should get the job done.

brotherS:
Based on my tests yesterday, I saw the same behaviour.  That said, you can still connect to a non-visible network, via netsh, so long as you know the name.  Here's my logic flow for a prototype:

1. Program starts up knowing the preferred/fast network name.
2. Program checks what network it's currently on.
    2a. If not the preferred network, set tray icon to red/slow, and attempt to connect to it every n number of seconds/minutes.
    2b. If on the preferred network, set tray icon to green/fast, and check every n number of seconds/minutes to ensure we're still on the preferred network.  If not, go back to 2.

It's a bit of brute method, but it's not resource intensive and should get the job done.
-skwire (March 04, 2022, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting! :) Yeah, that sounds like the perfect logic. I might have some time early afternoon tomorrow (US Central Time), how long should prototype testing take?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version