ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WiFi management: Windows tool to automatically enforce a connection?

(1/5) > >>

brotherS:
Hi,

I have two WiFi networks, a slow one (2.4 GHz) and a fast one (5 GHz). I've already set Windows to prefer the fast one, but it still (too often) gets stuck on the slow one (and then reconnects to the fast one as soon as I open the WiFi settings by clicking the WiFi tray icon). And I can't just not connect to the slow one since the fast one isn't always available.

Is there software to handle this simple task (always connect to the fast one if available) better? Or to at least visually show me (with a tray icon) which network is connected (if any)?

skwire:
Hey, brotherS, been a while.  =]

There are a bunch of ways to do this, depending on how pretty you want it.  The default Windows tray icon shows the currently connected wireless network.  You can easily create a batch file that runs the following command to quickly connect to your fast SSID.

--- ---netsh wlan connect <FAST_SSID_NAME_HERE>
Create a shortcut to that batch file in a convenient place and run it whenever you check the tray icon and see that you're on the slower network.

If you want something more like an actual application, sure, I can do that, but I want to see if the quick'n'dirty suggestion above suffices.

brotherS:
Hey, brotherS, been a while.  =]

There are a bunch of ways to do this, depending on how pretty you want it.  The default Windows tray icon shows the currently connected wireless network.  You can easily create a batch file that runs the following command to quickly connect to your fast SSID.

--- ---netsh wlan connect <FAST_SSID_NAME_HERE>
Create a shortcut to that batch file in a convenient place and run it whenever you check the tray icon and see that you're on the slower network.

If you want something more like an actual application, sure, I can do that, but I want to see if the quick'n'dirty suggestion above suffices.

-skwire (March 03, 2022, 02:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hey skwire, been a while indeed! :)

The "whenever you check the tray icon and see that you're on the slower network" thing is what I want to prevent.  8)  The perfect solution would be an app that would automatically reconnect to the fast connection when possible, just letting me know that it happened, but without me having to do anything.

A less perfect - but still very helpful - solution would just show a tray icon (maybe green for fast and red for slow connection), so I could see with a quick glance which connection is active.

skwire:
The "whenever you check the tray icon and see that you're on the slower network" thing is what I want to prevent.  8)  The perfect solution would be an app that would automatically reconnect to the fast connection when possible, just letting me know that it happened, but without me having to do anything.-brotherS (March 03, 2022, 03:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

When it switches to the slow network, does the fast network go missing from the list of choices you see when you click the Windows network tray icon?  Also, I assume the slow and fast networks have different SSID names?

brotherS:
The "whenever you check the tray icon and see that you're on the slower network" thing is what I want to prevent.  8)  The perfect solution would be an app that would automatically reconnect to the fast connection when possible, just letting me know that it happened, but without me having to do anything.-brotherS (March 03, 2022, 03:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

When it switches to the slow network, does the fast network go missing from the list of choices you see when you click the Windows network tray icon?  Also, I assume the slow and fast networks have different SSID names?
-skwire (March 03, 2022, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes and yes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version