ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tips for failing eyesight? PC use

(1/2) > >>

tomos:
Hi all, an older relative of mine is having problems with his eyes. He can currently only easily read printed text when it's above 40 point size. He's coping quite well, considering, on a 17" laptop -- as he knows the menu basics in the software he uses, and can touch type. He mostly writes letters (Softmaker Office) or emails (Gmail).

I was looking at ~ 27" monitors, that we could connect one to the laptop (4k resolution doesn't seem to be any advantage, so probably 2560 x 1440).

Does anyone have any tips or advice that might be helpful in this situation?

mouser:
It will absolutely make a big difference to have a 27" monitor.
As you say the resolution is not important, don't need 4k.
And set windows font size (dpi) higher.
Windows also has a magnifier tool but I think if you set the resolution to a reasonable value, and windows font size higher (150%?) that may be good enough.

MilesAhead:
I notice for myself that on some web pages there is not much contrast as the background colors are often close to the foreground text color.  Depending on the browser you may be able to have it load a css page by default that may make reading text easier by overriding the background color of the page.

Just a thought.   8)

BGM:
You could try "reading mode" which many browsers have.  That would help out the contrast and background colours, and you don't have to mess with addons.

MilesAhead:
You could try "reading mode" which many browsers have.  That would help out the contrast and background colours, and you don't have to mess with addons.
-BGM (March 02, 2022, 03:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

A better idea for sure.   :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version