ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does this "blog/shared notes" exist?

(1/2) > >>

tsaint:
Hi,
situation:
2 people, one old, other young mother. Old won't be around many more years, fine with computer, has a paid web hosted account.
Mother fine on android phone, not really interested in computers.
Aim:
 to easily create a (roughly daily) record of new vocab, behaviours etc of 2 year old child for long term viewing within the family only, using android/windows s/w (NO apple)
Caveats:
1. MUST be able to easily retrieve the data (to text files preferably) at a later date when old person (me) gone
2. Both people must be able to independently "post" the info - probably like daily thoughts. Her thru android phone, me thru either android phone or computer
3. In the past I've set up wordpress blogs, with ability to email posts to blog. But I'm ruling out wordpress as the mother won't be able to extract the posts from the wp database
(I know it's possible, but it won't get done if I'm not around)
4. prefer to use my hosted service for safety. I do have a (new) synology NAS but I don't know enough about it yet to know whether it might provide part of a solution
5. I don't trust commercial online services, so not looking in that direction. I want more control/ownership of the files
 Suggestions would be appreciated thanks
Tony

rjbull:
Maybe Simplenote?  It's a "free" cloud service by  Automattic (the people behind WordPress?) that you can access by browser or by their own (Electron behemoth) Windows app, or their Android app, but it can also be synchronized with CintaNotes (free and payware, I think even the free version will sync with Simplenote now) and ResophNotes (free, mentioned by wraith808 of this parish) on Windows, and with Glance Note on Android.  Certainly CintaNotes and Glance Note, and I think ResophNotes, keep their own local databases.

It's possible to use Simplenote collaboratively.

Big caveat; as a cloud service, you are at the mercy of their policies.  The ResophNotes site has a note that Simplenote might remove the API for third parties, though that hasn't happened yet, as far as I know.  Also, at present anyway, you can export from Simplenote to plain text files.

Dormouse:
for long term viewing within the family only
-tsaint (February 12, 2022, 03:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think long-term viewing will require at least some video

tsaint:
Maybe Simplenote?  It's a "free" cloud service by  Automattic (the people behind WordPress?) that you can access by browser or by their own (Electron behemoth) Windows app, or their Android app, but it can also be synchronized with CintaNotes (free and payware, I think even the free version will sync with Simplenote now) and ResophNotes (free, mentioned by wraith808 of this parish) on Windows, and with Glance Note on Android.  Certainly CintaNotes and Glance Note, and I think ResophNotes, keep their own local databases.

It's possible to use Simplenote collaboratively.

Big caveat; as a cloud service, you are at the mercy of their policies.  The ResophNotes site has a note that Simplenote might remove the API for third parties, though that hasn't happened yet, as far as I know.  Also, at present anyway, you can export from Simplenote to plain text files.
-rjbull (February 12, 2022, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks RJBull... I looked at all of those, and in the end, went with the multiple o/s app "Diarium". Reason was sync was thru Dropbox (she has access to relevant folder), multiformat export capability and a backup function. Uncertainty about Simplenote API removal factored in my thinking too.

tsaint:
for long term viewing within the family only
-tsaint (February 12, 2022, 03:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think long-term viewing will require at least some video
-Dormouse (February 12, 2022, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks Dormouse...the "viewing" referred to viewing as in being able to read said notes. Sorry for my ambiguity.
As an aside, re video, a month ago, I purchased a new 5 TB hd and transferred a lot of scattered across many HDs "toddler" videos to it. Plan was to then get a second HD for back up.
2 weeks after the collation/consolidation the new HD died. BEFORE I backed it up :( My stupidity.
 2 reasons for not using a professional data recovery service: price, and fear of the photos and videos being onsold to paedophiles (Toddler is the cutest little girl)
Anyway, video backup is uppermost in my mind

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version